FX-9590 vs i7-6700K For Gaming and Multi-Tasking

BuckyJunior

Honorable
Aug 25, 2016
Hi, everyone. I am going to be building a new gaming PC around Christmastime, and I can't decide on what processor to choose (FX-9590 or i7-6700K). I usually run a game with another program like Spotify or Microsoft Edge, and it seems like the FX-9590 would do better with multi-tasking because it has eight cores. Would an i7-6700K be able to handle having multiple programs open at once? Would an i7-6700K speed up the computer's general use much more than the FX-9590 because of its better IPC? Also, is PCIe 2.0 obsolete? I don't want to get the 9590, and then realize my GPU is bottlenecked. And I don't care about the power usage of the FX-9590 or the heat.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
6700K every. single. time.

The 9590 is a horrible CPU, with power & instability issues - requiring one of a select few boards that can adequately power it, and causes no end of headaches.

An 8core AMD chip is ok for multi-tasking, but the single & multi core performance of the 6700K makes it the hands-down winner in gaming.

mcconkeymike

Distinguished
6700k all day long. The platform is more powerful in single core performance (relevant in daily duties plus many games), more power efficient and cooler. Plus the chances of being able to upgrade to Kaby Lake at some point if you wanted as opposed to with AMD, there is no upgrade path for that socket. Also with Intel you get more bells and whistles on the motherboards since they are a newer technology than the outdated AMD platform.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator

Go intel 6700k , the 9590 is a piece of thermal junk , and are rare to get stable.

BuckyJunior

Honorable
Aug 25, 2016

I know it is five years old. I am probably going to go with the i7-6700K because it supports PCIe 3.0, it has better single core performance (even though it only has four vs eight), and it will last longer.

My last question is this: Will the i7-6700K play a game, run Spotify, and run a server all at once?

BuckyJunior

Honorable
Aug 25, 2016
MERGED QUESTION
Question from BuckyJunior : "FX-9590 or i7-6700K For Gaming and Multi-Tasking?"

I have been considering the FX-9590 and the i7-6700K, but I cannot make a decision. I like the FX-9590 for the fact that it has eight cores, and it ensures stability while multi-tasking. Also, AMD processors will be better in DX12 games. Downsides to the FX-9590 are:
1. The AM3+ socket only supports PCIe 2.0
and
2. The FX-9590 does not offer as much performance in games, but still averages 60FPS which is really all I need.

On the other hand, I like the i7-6700K for the fact that it supports PCIe 3.0, and the performance in games is MUCH better. I really only need 60FPS though, as I have said above. The only downside of the i7-6700K is the fact that it only has four cores.

Please, someone confirm this: One program uses one core, so I would be able to run eight programs with eight cores. And I am not a newbie to building computers. I know about multi-threaded programs. I am only using the following statement in general. Currently, I have a FX-4300.