Rx 480 vs gtx 1060

Tomatoes

Honorable
Feb 1, 2016
Wanna buy 1 of those cards and i am not planning to upgrade for 3 years at least.I font like futuristic games.I play Total war,skyrim,cs,lol,WoW etc. So what gpu will be better in the long run?

Solution
Older DX11 titles tend to favor the 1060, as well. DX12 tends to close the gap/favor the RX 480. Neither card is bad, just wanted to state the differences, I am aware of. I use Nvidia because I mostly play WoW/Overwatch, and I do Folding @ Home, which also favors Nvidia, typically. If the opposite were true, I would be using AMD.
In the long run, after AMDs latest drivers updates: the Rx480 imo.
They managed to almost close the gap in dx11 and are quite better in dx12.

If it were the 6GB 1060 things are different
But the 3GB is an overall tuned down card.

However the margins are so thin between the cards that it's not worth paying 25$ extra for one.
Also with the Rx480 it really depends on what specific design you're getting while the 1060s all perform around the same.

logainofhades

Titan
Blizzard sucks at optimization for all AMD hardware, CPU and GPU alike. The 480 is capable, but the 1060 would be better. I just wanted the OP to be aware of that fact, depending on priorities, of what games they like to play. Legion is more demanding than WoD, so this would be like legion level 7, out of 10, for graphics. Ultra, in a raid environment, those number differences will matter far more.

wow_1920_1080.png

logainofhades

Titan
Older DX11 titles tend to favor the 1060, as well. DX12 tends to close the gap/favor the RX 480. Neither card is bad, just wanted to state the differences, I am aware of. I use Nvidia because I mostly play WoW/Overwatch, and I do Folding @ Home, which also favors Nvidia, typically. If the opposite were true, I would be using AMD.

Solution
14nm is the semiconductor device fabrication node not the architecture.
also it doesn't make a difference in game performance.

also it runs much better in SOME dx12 titles.
as the 1060 runs much better in MOST dx11 titles

but I guess the picture says anything anyway

BuckyJunior

Honorable
Aug 25, 2016

BuckyJunior

Honorable
Aug 25, 2016

The RX 480 isn't much less power efficient, and in the long run, most people are worried about performance, not power consumption.