100% Usage i5 4690k GTAv

kristianfreknu

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016
Hello, i have experienced a lot of problems after I upgraded to the Asus Strix 1070 from a msi 960, while playing games
My specs:
CPU: i5 4690k non OCd
GPU: Asus 1070
RAM: 12 GB
MB: MSI z87-g55

When i play GTA V my CPU usage is always very high, like 90-100%... While my GPU usage stays at 70-80% and around (70-75c)
The CPU usage stays at 90-100% even if I turn all the settings in the game from very high/ ultra to LOW, it doesent change anything. When i played gta at mixed settings (medium/high) with my gtx 960 i had 60 stable FPS all the time, and the CPU never reached 90-100% usage with 60-64c.

I have checked, and it seems all the CPU power goes into running gta, and the only programs i am running atm was always GTA, steam, nothing more.

When i serached all over google, i found out that the i5 4690k wont bottleneck the gtx 1070, and that i would get high FPS while in game, well i dont, i go from 60 unstable and down to 30 sometimes... It was much more stable with my 960 card than the 1070, even at the same settings!

Can someone please help me with this?

Decends

Respectable
Jul 3, 2016

The thing is, with your 960, it was likely maxing out more often so it seemed more stable, with the GTX 1070, you just more than doubled your GPU horsepower. Now it seems unstable because your CPU cannot keep up with your GPU in GTA V. GTA V is a very odd beast. It is BOTH CPU and GPU Bound. The challenge is finding the balance of CPU and GPU horsepower to where both are equal. Even my I7 4790k combined with my GTX 1070, which is a lot faster than your I5, can yield sudden frame drops and frame rate instability in certain area's in GTA V. Your CPU just can't keep up in GTA V because there is a metric sh!t ton of stuff for the CPU to process. Most other Games your I5 will be more than sufficient. But Games like Watch Dogs 2, GTA V, and BF1, are VERY CPU HUNGRY.

kristianfreknu

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016
So is there really nothing i can do to lover the cpu usage? This is really annoying... i can play the witcher 3 on ultra with no lag, and when it comes to gta i really regret buying this gpu, because i read on forums that the 4690k should not bottleneck the 1070!
The only thing i want is to have stable 60fps no lag

Any tips to balance both CPu and GPU to have lover usage from both parts?

And can i put my 960 back into my rig and choose wich one i want to use for each game, in the settings?

The only way to lower your cpu usage is crank up the game settings to very high or max. This will load up the gpu and lower the fps which will in turn lower the CPU load. The lower the fps the more time the CPU has between each frame.

There is nothing wrong with your cpu running at 100% as long as your gpu is highly optimised and you are getting steady but good fps

kristianfreknu

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016
But it feels like the game is hanging a little bit, the FPS is good but sometimes it just drops all the way down to 30s and even 40s, and the goes back up to 60 (v-sync)
So i should max all the settings?

Im just worried i will kill my CPU since its chillin in 90-100%... but its only 70-75c so i guess its okay?

kristianfreknu

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016
I just tried what you said now, i never got a stable 60FPS, and it dropped form 60 and down to 38, and it feels to horrible playing with all these FPS drops, but the CPU usage went down to 80% and sometimes it went up to 100% and stayed there for a while (depends on where i am on the map) But the first time i tried GTAv with my new GPU, i had 60FPS stable, no drops at all, i cant do that anymore, and i dont remember my settings back then..

ZoronicElysium

Prominent
Mar 23, 2017
I'm having the EXACT same problem but with gigabyte cards rather. Haven't found a solution. The 1070 does some games better than my 960 but before I got my 4690k I had a Pentium G3258 and it did GTA V way better and it used the stock cooler. I'm using an aftermarket cooler now and I believe my CPU is thermal throttling. This is really pissing me off because BF1 and GTA V really suffer from it.