Solved

Using a 280 watt powers supply and a 300 watt graphics card?

I have a 280 watt power supply and I want to get a graphics card but I don't know if I should buy it because it requires me to have a 300 watt power supply. So I was wondering If something bad would happen to my computer if I run this graphics card that has a differential of 20 watts?
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 280 watt powers supply 300 watt graphics card
  1. The real question is amperage. If the power supply can supply the correct amperage to support the card your golden(ish). What is the graphics card, power supply, and CPU your using?
  2. Specs please.
  3. Short answer: A QUALITY 280W can usually handle a videocard rated for 300W power supplies. That's because manufacturers overestimate how much power is needed to prevent issues related to insufficient power. A cheap no name brand power supply is a different story. I wouldn't expect to get the rated power from one of those. I wouldn't trust a cheap 280W PSU to handle a 200W load. So it all hinges on what kind of power supply you have.
  4. Xibyth said:
    The real question is amperage. If the power supply can supply the correct amperage to support the card your golden(ish). What is the graphics card, power supply, and CPU your using?
  5. Graphics card: gtx 1050 ti, power supply: 280 watt, CPU: Intel core i7
  6. Best answer
    What is the model of the power supply.
  7. Christian_105 said:
    Graphics card: gtx 1050 ti, power supply: 280 watt, CPU: Intel core i7

What make and model 1050ti , a 280w is a little light for the card.
Ask a new question