i5 4670 vs i5 4690

andrewmorgan98

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2016
Hey guys, I have this motherboard, (I know its a prebuilt) http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03885123

It says under processor upgrade information, that it supports the i5 4670, but does not list the 4690. Everything I read online says the 2 are essentially the same. I am thinking the 4690 came out after this page was created and HP has not updated it. Does anyone konw much about socket types? if the 4690 will work? Or are they so similar that I shouldn't chance it and just get the 4670 as its clear that upgrade will work.

Thanks in advance

Solution
Other than clock speed, the two are essentially the same. The 4670 offers a max of 3.8GHz and the 4690 offers a max of 3.90GHz out of the box. Since it is only a 100MHz difference, I would still stick with the 4670 recommended by the factory and you wont see much of a performance difference of the two.

Hope this helps.

mangaman

Honorable
Other than clock speed, the two are essentially the same. The 4670 offers a max of 3.8GHz and the 4690 offers a max of 3.90GHz out of the box. Since it is only a 100MHz difference, I would still stick with the 4670 recommended by the factory and you wont see much of a performance difference of the two.

Hope this helps.

Solution
^ I agree with this guy. The performance gains from the extra 100MHz will probably not even be noticeable and with the 4670 you'll get the added benefit of support from HP. If you try to put a 4690 in it and you run into problems, you might get a particularly salty person in support that just brushes you off and tells you to fix it yourself. There's a 95% chance it will work, but the hassle of potentially uninstalling, returning, and buying another processor is enough that I wouldn't risk it for such minimal performance gains.