FX-8350 (No overclock). Liquid Cooling or Air? Choices?

Arkanus

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
Hello!

I have been reading a lot of threads about cooling recommendations for the AMD FX-8350, but I can't arrive to a proper conclussion about if I should stick with air or liquid cooling, given the fact that I'm NOT planning to overclock my CPU at all.

What kind of cooling should I get, considering the 8350 runs pretty hot and I'm going to use it for all kinds of purposes, specially Photoshop, video-rendering and playing "beefy" games like Battlefield 1 or Star Citizen?

Also, how do these options sound for that CPU?

Air: Cooler Master Hyper 412S
Liquid: Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H110i GTX

Thank you a lot in advance!

Solution
You could sell both, if still unused, for a good price and wait for AMD Ryzen processors to release next month, which will undoubtedly be a lot better and more power efficient. It is exactly the wrong time to invest in an AMD FX CPU's especially now the new AMD CPU's are about to release.

If you wish to keep them, fine, the MSI 970 Gaming is reasonable for a 125w TDP CPU like the FX-8350. Check out this CPU Cooler from Cryorig:

You won't need a better/more expensive on. The H7 is the king of price/performance CPU cooling.

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $34.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-19...

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
The VRM Cooling on your motherboard is more important than having a good CPU Cooler. If your motherboard doesn't have sufficient amount of power phases there isn't a point in having a good CPU Cooler, so let us know which motherboard you own.

That being said, the FX-8350 is outdated and not a great performer. If you don't own one yet and you're planning to buy one soon, definitely don't. If you already own one, spending over 100 dollars for what isn't a great CPU would be poor spending of money, so I'd suggest an Air cooler.

The Hyper 412S already performs simillarly to most ~90-100 dollair AIO coolers. Air cooling provides much better performance for the price.

Arkanus

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010

The motherboard is a MSI 970 gaming. Sadly I can't buy another CPU atm since I already got the 8350 a few months ago (although I haven't installed it yet).

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
You could sell both, if still unused, for a good price and wait for AMD Ryzen processors to release next month, which will undoubtedly be a lot better and more power efficient. It is exactly the wrong time to invest in an AMD FX CPU's especially now the new AMD CPU's are about to release.

If you wish to keep them, fine, the MSI 970 Gaming is reasonable for a 125w TDP CPU like the FX-8350. Check out this CPU Cooler from Cryorig:

You won't need a better/more expensive on. The H7 is the king of price/performance CPU cooling.

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $34.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-19 06:20 EST-0500

Solution

Autizmo_1

Commendable
Oct 20, 2016
Air cooling is better for the money, however if you get an AIO cooler, you have the option of upgrading your cpu and/or mobo in the future and installing it on another computer build. It's your choice at the end of the day and down yo how much money you have, but AIO coolers are pretty sweet.