$3000 Gaming, 3D Animation, and Video Editing PC

WittyUsernameSA

Commendable
Dec 19, 2016
I recently came, or will come, into some money. I part of that I want to invest into a long-time dream I had since I was 13, a top of the line gaming PC. As I'm older now, 24, I'm also an animator, this build needs to include it.

I did a bit of research, and I have selected some parts based on that research, but I want more opinions on it. I'll include my selected parts at the bottom of this post.

Approximate Purchase Date: Hopefully this week. That's what I'm expecting, but life happens.

Budget Range: $3000. Maybe a little more depending on what I buy, any warranties needed.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, animating, rendering videos, watching videos, surfing the web, oh and general work.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes. I want it to be 1440p, 144hz, and at least 27 inches wide.

Parts to Upgrade: Pretty much everything. The only thing I plan on reusing is the speaker and headset I bought a few years ago.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, but I plan on testing out Windows 10 first. If I dislike it, I'll downgrade back to 7.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Not sure. Maybe Newegg? Otherwise, Amazon.

Location: Cadiz, KY, USA. Small town middle of nowhere. There's a few somewhat larger towns around, Hopksiville, Murray, Madisonville, but I don't know of any great PC stores.

Parts Preferences: All I really know is I want great build quality.

Overclocking: Maybe. I never done it. It's a worry to try.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe far in the future. For now, sticking to 1 GPU.

Your Monitor Resolution: I'm wanting to upgrade to 2560 x 1440 monitor.

Additional Comments: My primary concern is longevity, rendering videos quickly, having games play beautifully but also very high framerate. If I can have games play at 144 fps, then I want 144fps. Of course, I also want it pretty.

Longevity... my build below is partly a result of my inexperience. I chose a full tower for lots of airflow despite not having that much equipment in there. It was designed to alleviate as much heat as possible. Or at least to my knowledge. Originally, I was planning on putting a Noctua air cooler in there. But the case I chosen had a window. I liked the case so much that I chosen to get a Dark Pro 3 to keep it looking nice -- hoping it'll keep it cool enough with all the room and not overclocking.

This being my first build, I'm taking a lot of steps to try to insure this doesn't die in a short time, I don't know if it's all necessary. I probably don't need as large of a case as I have.

I understand the Cosair Obsidian brand of cases were designed to help make builds easier, part of why I chosen the case I did. If there's another case that can fit these parts easily and doesn't have a window, I'd probably put the Noctua case back in.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I'm working on an old store bought Dell XPS computer my grandfather got a while ago. His computer started acting up, so I took it off his hand for him to get a new one. It was better than mine at the time, mostly due to the low-end graphic card (mine was an integrated chip), so for me, huge upgrade. Wiped OS and just used it.

Worked okay, was able to play a lot of games I wanted, most from mid-2000s, but as time goes on, some new games appeal to me. I want to take part in that.

Of course, as mentioned, I'm also an animator. I use Source Filmmaker to do most of these and I'd like to decrease render time for them. Rendering a minute long clip at 720p can take hours if the graphics are beefed up in them. Of course, they look nicer beefed up.

Needless to say, but I also have to edit videos in other programs like Sony Vegas, sometimes. I tend to work with HD clips. With this new build, I'll be rendering at 1080p. I want working to be quick.

--

Now, here's the parts I have selected based on a few hours of research:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($164.99 @ Jet)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($91.23 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($597.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 750D Airflow Edition ATX Full Tower Case ($144.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.88 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($88.58 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Dell S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor ($599.00 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard ($169.99 @ Corsair)
Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2745.59
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-19 15:18 EST-0500

As I said, I have chosen these parts based on inexperience with building. I worry about performance, burning up parts because i know I'm going to be working with videos and games. I kept my case spacious, chosen a strong, though not the best, aircooler, and chosen a case to do lots of airflow.

I probably went overkill of safety. I'm not overclocking or doing SLI (at least for now), and I chosen a full tower. I will probably be transporting this a few times a year, but twenty - forty pounds isn't too bad.

Anyway, not sure how I did for someone with no experience in choosing parts. I hope it's on the right track. Any input would be great.

WittyUsernameSA

Commendable
Dec 19, 2016

Well, the parts definitely look similar. Which I suppose is a good sign for me. Though I see a few differences. Like chosen ram, and psu. Also the monitor but I want 144hz.

Can I ask why you chose the parts you did? I'm not wanting to cheap out on anything.

I'm also looking for more advice if anyone has them.

MB + CPU - At your budget level consider a six core. Don't forget to update the BIOS on any X99 motherboard you may go with.
CPU COOLER - Fine and all, but not any better than the Cryorig below for less cost.
SSD - The EVO is overpriced at the moment. Check out SK Hynix, the Sandisk X400 or the Crucial below.
PSU - XFX, Seasonic, the EVGA G2 lineup or filter through the Tier 1 or Tier 2 list. The Corsiar RM 750w you listed is OK at best (Tier 3). Light reading => http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html
MONITOR - Changed to a 28" 4k display

CPU: Intel Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($379.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($57.22 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($183.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($124.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($87.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($629.98 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition w/ Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer CB280HK bmjdppr 28.0" 3840x2160 60Hz Monitor ($299.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Keyboard: Logitech G710 Plus Wired Gaming Keyboard ($79.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $2371.34

EDIT: If you truly have no plans to overclock or run SLI, then look toward a non-overclocking setup like the one below.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($304.99 @ Jet)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($87.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($124.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($87.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($629.98 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition w/ Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer CB280HK bmjdppr 28.0" 3840x2160 60Hz Monitor ($299.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Keyboard: Logitech G710 Plus Wired Gaming Keyboard ($79.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $2103.02

WittyUsernameSA

Commendable
Dec 19, 2016

Actually, I have considered jumping up to the i7-6800k. But I wasn't entirely sure. I had some other advice and they told me for my purposes, it would be best to go with the 6700k. It's still something I'm leaning towards, but I'm not sure. They'd both be definite improvements over what I have now.

The PSU read you gave me was definitely insightful though. It helps me choose a better one.

Wasn't entirely aware the EVO was overpriced, I just chose one with solid reviews, I'll change it without worrying too much.

However, your non-overclock build looks a bit more like my intitial build. Not a 7600k but a plain 7600, what's the reason behind this? Also I'm unsure of the differences between the two GPUs -- the EVGA and Gigabyte, one appears to be a little smaller.

Your non-overclocked build also doesn't have a cooler, are coolers just totally unnecessary when not SLIing or OCing? I fear my intense gaming, animating, and video rendering will create a lot of heat when using such a powerful GPU, even without overclocking. Safety of my parts is a giant concern for me. If nothing else, I'd like to have a cooler for peace of mind.

This definitely made me edit the build, but I'm still deciding between some things.

The i7-6700k (K series) is an unlocked CPU and meant to be paired with a Z170 chipset motherboard for overclocking. The i7-6700 (non-K series) is a locked CPU and meant to be paired with a H110 / B150 / H170 chipset motherboard for non-overclocking builds.

When not overclocking, the stock Intel CPU cooler will be just fine. ...even if you are rendering or at high CPU utilization. This assumes you have a good case with good airflow, but only look toward an aftermarket CPU cooler if you are overclocking or really really want peace of mind. Even then, I would suggest the Deepcool Gammaxx 400 as a stock replacement. It is a great cooler at a low price at the moment.

WittyUsernameSA

Commendable
Dec 19, 2016

Hmmm, gives me lots to think about. Overclocking is something I'm considering, but would probably put it off, making me think about the K-Series for potential, it'd just be a bit down the line when I become more confident in my understanding of computers and builds.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Rwhj4D/corsair-case-cc9011078ww

This is the case I was looking at. I forgot to add that to my initial build (I'll edit the OP after this.) From what I can see, it should have great airflow.

I chose a very roomy case, as well, probably too much room. I really like the way it seems to be designed for easy building and airflow, but more than open to suggestions. Maybe a smaller, but still roomy, air centered and build focused case exists.

I'm looking into the Deepcool fan, though.