10,000 rpm vs Hybrid

bob the lizard

Commendable
Dec 20, 2016
So I am going to build my first gaming rig and was wondering how much storage do I need, and should I go with a 10,000 rpm HDD or a Hybrid. I will have a decent amount of music, will be doing video editing, school work, and recording gaming. I will probably upgrade and buy an ssd eventually but right now I just don't have the money to get one that is any bigger than 275 gigs.

Here is my current build-

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZynzXH
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZynzXH/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: LEPA AquaChanger 120 103.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($7.49 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($149.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($94.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Edition Video Card ($580.81 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Gunmetal/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Rosewill 1000W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.88 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($88.58 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link Archer T2U USB 2.0 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($23.30 @ B&H)
Monitor: Acer GN246HL 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor ($188.83 @ Jet)
Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow X Tournament Edition Chroma Wired Gaming Keyboard ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite Wired Optical Mouse ($66.99 @ Best Buy)
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset ($96.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $2116.64
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-21 18:46 EST-0500

my budget is $2120 and i can't afford to go over even by a single dollar. Also I know this looks overkill for that monitor but the monitor will be replaced as soon as i can afford a better one.

Solution
Hey there, Bob.

I'm with @jsmithepa on this one. You could check for an affordable 120GB SSD for the OS alone and some of the programs, and a larger HDD for everything else (media files, games, etc) for about the same budget you've selected your current storage option.
As for the question at hand, I'd go with a hybrid drive instead of an HDD if it's going to be used for everything including OS. The SSD part of the SSHD will cache most of the files needed for the OS and some of the programs and the system should run faster compared to an HDD even if it's 10K RPM.

By the way there seems to be a compatibility note for your build, so I'd advise you to take it into account.

Hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any questions...

U haven't read enough.

Most people use SSD for OS+Apps, and HD for everything else including large video files. Is 256 gig SSD enough for your Apps? bare OS takes 12-20 gig.

Hey there, Bob.

I'm with @jsmithepa on this one. You could check for an affordable 120GB SSD for the OS alone and some of the programs, and a larger HDD for everything else (media files, games, etc) for about the same budget you've selected your current storage option.
As for the question at hand, I'd go with a hybrid drive instead of an HDD if it's going to be used for everything including OS. The SSD part of the SSHD will cache most of the files needed for the OS and some of the programs and the system should run faster compared to an HDD even if it's 10K RPM.

By the way there seems to be a compatibility note for your build, so I'd advise you to take it into account.

Hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Boogieman_WD

Solution