will a 500 Watt PSU with Fx 6300 + r9 390 be good for a month?

Italian Plumber

Reputable
Feb 7, 2016
So i got an RMA on r9 270X of mine and the replacement card is coming in today, the RMA office was out of 270Xs and they offered me a 390 instead, obviously i took it, but i only have a EVGA 500B (80+ Bronze) PSU, i just wana know if that would be enough PSU to handle my system without damaging my components until i can sell the 390 and buy a 480 or get a new PSU.

i went to the PSU calculator by outervision and put in all my stuff and it says the top power consumption is 450 watts and i should have at least a 500 watt PSU

Solution
It'll run it BUT steer clear of any stress testing/benchmarking & consider lowering vthe power limit to 80% with MSI afterburner.

You are at the absolute limit with that 500b

Italian Plumber

Reputable
Feb 7, 2016

thanks, will do. i have a 650 watt PSU but its by a sketchy brand, "apevia". from what my friend said it was bundled with his rosewill case . i am kind of suspicious that it may have slowly ruined my 270x over time but it has always had the dreaded "vertical lines problem" before it died, but that may have been a result of overclocking it. also it dosent have an 80+ rating. so would it be safer to use the 650 watt in this case even if it is from a sketchy brand?

Italian Plumber

Reputable
Feb 7, 2016

i just got my RMA in the mail, turns out they gave me a 380 instead, i still cant complain as it is still a free upgrade. the PSU calculator says with a CPU and GPU overclock (MSI stock OC) it still only recommend a 460 watt psu as it supposedly only uses 410 under load. so i am good for a while on stock, ill still be careful i dont ask too much of my PSU until i get a new one.