i3 with rx 470 vs i5 6500 with gtx 1050 ti

LukesVW

Commendable
Dec 26, 2016
I know there are similar threads, but they dont answer my question, as I will only use this PC to play games (such as GTA V, The Witcher, racing games and other less demanding games). I know the i5 should be better in CPU-intensive games like GTA V or The Witcher, and the rx 470 should be better in GPU-intensive games like racing games and some other games that I think they are GPU-intensive, but I can buy both so I want to know which one is overall better.

I will go with teh i5 option. The 1050 Ti can hold it's own and deliver decent graphical content. Not only that, but you have 4 cores to do other things. However, we have count in what RAM, motherboard you have as well. The RX 470 is better than the 1050 Ti, but if you can only get the 1050 Ti, then get it.

P.S. What country are you in? The 470 is only $20-25 more than the 1050 Ti in the US.

LukesVW

Commendable
Dec 26, 2016

Thank you for the quick reply.
Talking about ram, I would have 8gb of ram (2400mhz, 8x1). The motherboard I would use is MSI Intel Skylake H110 (the cheapest I could find).
I do not live in the US but I´m going for a while there so I would be able to buy it there.
I know the best and most obvious option would be to stretch the budget a bit to get the i5 with the 470 but, I cant get convinced enough that the extra 2 cores that the i5 has are worth the extra 100 dollars just to game.

Well, games like BF1 and GTAV are CPU intensive. Think of like this, Intel does an amazing job of performance per core (unlike AMD who only cares about core count, besides Zen). So the CPU sends the instructions to the GPU, and then the GPU draws it up. However, stuff like AI is handled by the CPU. So playing a game like GTA V will take a lot of CPU. Now I am not trying to stray you away from the i3. It's a great chip, but it has its limits. The i5 is more a future proof, and not just for gaming. Not to mention, hyper-threading as well (a whole different concept).

LukesVW

Commendable
Dec 26, 2016
That is the one argument that gets me to consider the i5, the future-proof. I still have 4 weeks to sort this out.
Plus, do you know of any page where I can simulate benchmarks?

Man there are tons of benchmarks about these two chips. I would search on youtube "i3-6100 vs i5-6500" and I am sure you will find a respectable tech channel to inform you .