Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
[My Specs]

Mainboard : Asrock h87 pro4
Processor : Intel Core i7 4790
Graphics card : gainward gtx 1070 phoenix gs
Ram : 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600
Psu : 600W

Alright, so i have just upgraded my graphics card from a gtx 970 to a gtx 1070 and was expecting to not have any performance issues in any game anymore. So i loaded up some of my favorite games like Assassins Creed Unity which was still dropping below 60 fps. Battlefield 1 was a mess... in a 64 player match fps were dropping to the low 40 if not worse. The division, runs fairly smooth but every now and then drops to 35 - 40ish fps and then immediately goes up to 60 again. Batman arkham knight had overall higher fps but was still dropping below 60 fps. I don't even want to start with watch dogs 2... Games like The witcher 3 and crisis 3 run without any problems at over 70 fps on Ultra. I've seen videos on youtube of almost the same rig as mine have better performance in the games i listed. Anyone have a clue what could be wrong with my Rig ?

Something123

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
Could it be my mainboard by any chance ? that it can't handle that much performance ? i mean, in some games my gpu and cpu load doesn't even reach 70% and i still have low fps or drops.

indsup

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015
If your not getting errors then look at the power connector for the gpu it may not be plugged in correctly or at all. Also check and make sure your power supply is not dropping voltage while playing the game. If it is your gpu will throttle down to keep from burning out your psu. If your voltages are dropping change the psu. You should be fine then if that is the cause.

What res are you gaming at?

And easiest way to chek for bottleneck is to look at CPU usage during fps drops, but I'd be surprised if that CPU bottlenecks a 1070. Monitor stats with Afterburner and try the already mentioned things in this thread..

Decends

Respectable
Jul 3, 2016
I think it might be the PSU not deliver sufficent power or correct voltage like Indsup said. Perhaps try replacing with a better quality PSU. Try a Seasonic S12II to rule out PSU if you can.

*Edit* Check that I'm almost positive it it might have to do with your PSU. I have not read good things about that company's PSU's in general with a quick search about it.

Something123

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
I play my games at 1080p. One thing i did notice when fps drops occurred is that my cpu usage went up to about 87% but that only happened in the division. In games like battlefield 1 my gpu+ cpu usage doesn't even reach 50-60%. The voltage dropping test sounds interesting, allthough i have no clue how i would do that.

Something123

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
Alright, i am about to buy a new psu. But since my knowledge about psu's is very limited i'll just post the one i am currently looking at here to see if you guys would reccomend it. 650 Watt Corsair Vengeance 650M Modular 80+ Bronze

Check your voltages first with HWInfo. Post a s/shot here. Yes you could do with a better PSU but it may not solve your problem and it'd be better to determine problem first. I still think you should check GPU usage/voltage/power draw and CPU usage/voltage/temps, and check the min/max stats as obviously it'll fluctuate. BF1 multiplayer for example is known to stress systems to the max.

Corsair VS (Vengeance Series) are Tier 4 low quality PSU's http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Yeah I would replace your PSU regardless with a tier 1 (replacing it every 5 years) or tier 2 (replacing every 3 years). A tier 4 is begging to turn your whole PC into an expensive paper weight. also returning your GPU for a replacement may well help as well.

Well you didn't get the system voltages (5v, 12v etc) so it's hard to say how stable your PSU is, but it does show that your CPU is running close to max at times, while your GPU never hits more than 80% usage.

You are hitting close to the TCASE max of 72c with your CPU as well so a better cooler would probably be a better idea than a new PSU to avoid throttling, but I can say pretty safely from those pics that your CPU is bottlenecking the GPU, as much because of temps as usage.

Your PSU is supplying adequate voltage to your GPU though as it is barely hitting 1v.

And your 1tb HDD is only SATA II 3gb/s so you should run games from your SATA III 6gb/s SSD or get a new HDD.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
intel's spec for tcase max is 72 but throttling doesn't actually occur until 90c to prevent damage. So that's not causing his clock speed to drop at 70C. Clearly his CPU is hitting its limit by his graphs but it doesn't seem to be thermal throttling. It looks to be more of an issue where a new game like BF1 crippling even the best of systems. It is a well known resource hog in regards to CPU cycles. It is well threaded though so beyond getting a 6+ core CPU that is also faster IPC wise I think your stuck with that level of performance from that CPU combo.