Solved

random restarts while playing graphic intensive games

for context:

i first properly noticed issues with my pc when it randomly put my gpu fan speed to 100 and then shut down. i went to my friend and asked him to fix this. he fixed the issue, but also overclocked my gpu in msi afterburner. i noticed that this caused my pc to become unstable and unable to run games etc, and so i set it back down to what it was before. i should note he did this a second time when he was installing a ssd and a new hard drive for my pc, and i set it back down to what it was before again.

some time ago, i began playing gta v for the first time i had in a while. the previous times i had played the game, it ran fine. i booted it and it shut down and restarted my pc over and over while i was trying to play. i thought it was a problem with the game, and ignored it for a while.

then i got the witcher 3 and the same issues happened with that. then i thought it may be my cpu or gpu overheating. i set my gpu fans to high speeds in msi afterburner and monitored my temps every 5 minutes or so. my temps were fine but my computer was still shutting down and restarting. the game would run for a longer time when i had spaced out the times that i played it, for example: if i played the game on monday and then played it again on tuesday, the game would almost instantly shut down and restart on tuesday. however if i played on monday and then waited to play it again on friday, it would run much longer on friday. a visible blue screen occured once while i was playing, its error message was " 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER ". i did a clean install of my graphics drivers after i seen this error message, but the problem still persisted.

i started researching why this was happening. i came across an article saying it may be my RAM failing. i then ran a test on it with windows memory diagnostic and it came back with all clear results. i also read that it may be my psu failing or wasnt giving enough power to run my computer playing these graphic-intensive games. i used a power supply tester to test the voltage from the psu, and it also came back with positive results. the last issue that could've been causing it was an invisible bluescreen from a failing gpu.

note: i did not build this pc. my other friend did. (not the one who overclocked the gpu)

my specs:

os: windows 10 pro 64-bit

cpu: intel core i7 4770K @ 3.50GHz
haswell 22nm technology

ram: 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)

gpu: 4096MB ATI Radeon R9 290

psu: modular corsair CX750M 750 WATT
18 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gpu usage spikes random restarts playing graphic intensive games
  1. lukewinters1234 said:
    my graphics card is malfunctioning.

    for context:

    i first properly noticed issues with my pc when it randomly put my gpu fan speed to 100 and then shut down. i went to my friend and asked him to fix this. he fixed the issue, but also overclocked my gpu in msi afterburner. i noticed that this caused my pc to become unstable and unable to run games etc, and so i set it back down to what it was before. i should note he did this a second time when he was installing a ssd and a new hard drive for my pc, and i set it back down to what it was before again.

    some time ago, i began playing gta v for the first time i had in a while. the previous times i had played the game, it ran fine. i booted it and it shut down and restarted my pc over and over while i was trying to play. i thought it was a problem with the game, and ignored it for a while.

    then i got the witcher 3 and the same issues happened with that. then i thought it may be my cpu or gpu overheating. i set my gpu fans to high speeds in msi afterburner and monitored my temps every 5 minutes or so. my temps were fine but my computer was still shutting down and restarting. the game would run for a longer time when i had spaced out the times that i played it, for example: if i played the game on monday and then played it again on tuesday, the game would almost instantly shut down and restart on tuesday. however if i played on monday and then waited to play it again on friday, it would run much longer on friday. a visible blue screen occured once while i was playing, its error message was " 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER ". i did a clean install of my graphics drivers after i seen this error message, but the problem still persisted.

    i started researching why this was happening. i came across an article saying it may be my RAM failing. i then ran a test on it with windows memory diagnostic and it came back with all clear results. i also read that it may be my psu failing or wasnt giving enough power to run my computer playing these graphic-intensive games. i used a power supply tester to test the voltage from the psu, and it also came back with positive results. the last issue that could've been causing it was an invisible bluescreen from a failing gpu.

    i ignored all this and stopped playing graphic-intensive games for a while. i have now noticed that when i boot up msi afterburner, basically anything i do sets my gpu usage to 90-100%.



    note: i did not build this pc. my other friend did. (not the one who overclocked the gpu)

    my specs:

    os: windows 10 pro 64-bit

    cpu: intel core i7 4770K @ 3.50GHz
    haswell 22nm technology

    ram: 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)

    gpu: 4096MB ATI Radeon R9 200 series (ATI)

    psu: modular corsair CX750M 750 WATT


    Have you tried installing the graphics card in another system? That way you'll be able to tell if it's actually the graphics card, or if its something else causing this.
  2. TCobra said:
    lukewinters1234 said:
    my graphics card is malfunctioning.

    for context:

    i first properly noticed issues with my pc when it randomly put my gpu fan speed to 100 and then shut down. i went to my friend and asked him to fix this. he fixed the issue, but also overclocked my gpu in msi afterburner. i noticed that this caused my pc to become unstable and unable to run games etc, and so i set it back down to what it was before. i should note he did this a second time when he was installing a ssd and a new hard drive for my pc, and i set it back down to what it was before again.

    some time ago, i began playing gta v for the first time i had in a while. the previous times i had played the game, it ran fine. i booted it and it shut down and restarted my pc over and over while i was trying to play. i thought it was a problem with the game, and ignored it for a while.

    then i got the witcher 3 and the same issues happened with that. then i thought it may be my cpu or gpu overheating. i set my gpu fans to high speeds in msi afterburner and monitored my temps every 5 minutes or so. my temps were fine but my computer was still shutting down and restarting. the game would run for a longer time when i had spaced out the times that i played it, for example: if i played the game on monday and then played it again on tuesday, the game would almost instantly shut down and restart on tuesday. however if i played on monday and then waited to play it again on friday, it would run much longer on friday. a visible blue screen occured once while i was playing, its error message was " 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER ". i did a clean install of my graphics drivers after i seen this error message, but the problem still persisted.

    i started researching why this was happening. i came across an article saying it may be my RAM failing. i then ran a test on it with windows memory diagnostic and it came back with all clear results. i also read that it may be my psu failing or wasnt giving enough power to run my computer playing these graphic-intensive games. i used a power supply tester to test the voltage from the psu, and it also came back with positive results. the last issue that could've been causing it was an invisible bluescreen from a failing gpu.

    i ignored all this and stopped playing graphic-intensive games for a while. i have now noticed that when i boot up msi afterburner, basically anything i do sets my gpu usage to 90-100%.



    note: i did not build this pc. my other friend did. (not the one who overclocked the gpu)

    my specs:

    os: windows 10 pro 64-bit

    cpu: intel core i7 4770K @ 3.50GHz
    haswell 22nm technology

    ram: 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)

    gpu: 4096MB ATI Radeon R9 200 series (ATI)

    psu: modular corsair CX750M 750 WATT


    Have you tried installing the graphics card in another system? That way you'll be able to tell if it's actually the graphics card, or if its something else causing this.


    i put the gpu in a different pc and it ran the witcher 3 with no random shutdowns. i think it may be something else causing the issue, but have no idea what.
  3. I would suspect the psu as the CX750 is notorious for shutting down under load. Either from overheating as they have a very low thermal threshold or the capacitors are failing. The 2 most common causes of shutting down/restarting under load is power issues and overheating.
  4. @ bignastyid - I respectfully disagree with your comment re. the CX series of PSU's. I have exactly the same PSU and am running two Sapphire R9 280x at 1600/1100 and an overclocked FX-3850 @ 4.6Ghz 1.404v and have had no issues whatsoever. They may be a 'budget' PSU which carry a 30° temp. rating but they are not the pieces of s*** most people make them out to be.

    I agree that the OP's issue may be power related but it could equally be something else entirely.
  5. You are welcome to your opionion but Ixm speaking from experience. At one point here I was seeing atleast 4-5 of them fail a week. Had 5 of them fail on custom builds. Forums are riddled with failed CXs but atleast they dont take out other parts with them so they aren't total garbage but they are not units I woild use or reccomend. Corsair did go in the right direction with the newer 450w,550w, and 650w CXm units are decent units.
  6. bignastyid said:
    You are welcome to your opionion but Ixm speaking from experience. At one point here I was seeing atleast 4-5 of them fail a week. Had 5 of them fail on custom builds. Forums are riddled with failed CXs but atleast they dont take out other parts with them so they aren't total garbage but they are not units I woild use or reccomend. Corsair did go in the right direction with the newer 450w,550w, and 650w CXm units are decent units.


    do you have any recommendations on what power supply i should replace it with?
  7. Best answer
  8. i have also noticed something unusual in msi afterburner. the memory clock seems to spike up and down constantly. i have the newest graphic drivers installed, but its still happening. could this be the issue, or is this normal? image: http://imgur.com/a/Fgwpw
  9. Does it do this while gaming? When just browsing or some other activities power management with throttle the clocks up and down as needed.
  10. bignastyid said:
    Does it do this while gaming? When just browsing or some other activities power management with throttle the clocks up and down as needed.


    it says at 1250 while gaming and doesnt spike. however it does spike when im doing simple things on my pc such as browsing on the internet, opening image files etc.
  11. lukewinters1234 said:
    bignastyid said:
    Does it do this while gaming? When just browsing or some other activities power management with throttle the clocks up and down as needed.


    it says at 1250 while gaming and doesnt spike. however it does spike when im doing simple things on my pc such as browsing on the internet, opening image files etc.


    That's semi normal. My 980ti can have similar spikes when browsing on some site with my ad blocker disabled due to video ads they can temp cause the gpu to spool up then slow down. Ity does spike quite as many times as your does but that could just be due to different tasks running.
  12. I have a fairly similar problem, my pc is restarted on occasions when I am playing . Myy specifications are these:
    I7 4790k
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro CMY16GX3M2A2400C11
    GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    PSU: Corsair CX750M

    I think one common factor we have is the PSU: but mine is barely a month old.
    Have I run with such a bad lucky to have a defective one? Or is gpu problem?
  13. Sinistercr0c said:
    @ bignastyid - I respectfully disagree with your comment re. the CX series of PSU's. I have exactly the same PSU and am running two Sapphire R9 280x at 1600/1100 and an overclocked FX-3850 @ 4.6Ghz 1.404v and have had no issues whatsoever. They may be a 'budget' PSU which carry a 30° temp. rating but they are not the pieces of s*** most people make them out to be.

    I agree that the OP's issue may be power related but it could equally be something else entirely.


    Just because your PSU is still working, doesn't mean they don't have a history of issues. It doesn't mean that a fairly high percentage of people don't have issues, while others do not. As a whole, they'd still be considered a budget PSU with issues, despite some people who aren't having problems.

    And when it comes to PSU's, even good brands will have failures. They just don't have as many.
  14. Well we should all find out if its his PSU if/when he replaces it....I know where my money's going

    @lukewinters1234 - please post back on this thread if you replace your PSU and it solves the problem.....or not.
  15. i will be ordering the SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply shortly, ill update when i have it installed and tested. thanks for all your help
  16. It really would have been nice to have tested another GPU in the system before doing that, but if you have no option, the PSU is the most likely suspect.
  17. Finally when changing the PSU, stopped the PC restart?
  18. its going to take longer than i thought to save enough money to buy the psu, therefore the delay. i will post on here as soon as i install it. thank you again
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking Core Power Supplies MSI-Microstar PC gaming Drivers ATI Gaming PCs Games Hardware Problem Memory windows 10 GPUs Hardware Issue Graphics Cards Blue Screen