1600 hz Ram causes no video output.

jimmmybloomers

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015
I have jst finished upgrading my cpu and moherboard for my PC. Once i had finished I tried to boot up with two 8gb sticks of 1600 hz RAM in.

The computer was running but all I could see was a black screen, I then switched it to two 4gb 1333hz sticks of RAM and everything was alright. Whenever I try to use the others it doesn't work. This is really annoying as I would much prefer to use 16gb instead of 8gb. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-D2V

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz

Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

Video Card #2 Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

RAM 8.0 GB

Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 (build 14393), 64-bit

jimmmybloomers

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015

How do I check If I have the latest BIOS, I cant find any option to enable XMP

Find out the Revision number of your motherboard. It will be printed somewhere on the board, probably near the bottom. Then go to Gigabyte's website and find out the BIOS versions available for that specific Revision of the mobo (Probably under support or downloads).

You can download CPU-Z to identify the BIOS version you are running (under Mainboard tab, if I recall). If you boot into the BIOS, it may identify the version also.

jimmmybloomers

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015

Ok. I have the most update BIOS version.... now what?

Sorry, I don't know much about XMP (extreme memory profile) as it is an Intel spec and I have AMD PC's. There should be a setting somewhere in the BIOS, just dig around all of the sections.

Have you tried booting with just 1 stick of the 1600mhz ram installed? Just to rule out a bad ram stick. Your motherboard manual will specify which slot to use for just 1 ram stick.