Rx 480 freezes,low fps,blue screen

Tomatoes

Honorable
Feb 1, 2016
Hello guys im so disappointed :'( i desperately want your help.So my pc setup is this:

Intel pentium g3258 OC(4.0ghz)
Rx 480 4gb asus dual
Asrock h81-gl
Corsair cs550w 80+ gold
8gb ram
Cougar spike mini tower
Windows 10 pro...

So i played a few games and my fps were perfect until the crashes came out.I crashed 3-4 times in 2 hours of gaming by having the mouse freeze(and the screen too) to death and the only way is to shut it down from the button.In one game particular (csgo) i had 10 fps? Wtf??
No fps cap no v sync.just 10 fps.Meanwhile in ac unity and total war warhammer i have 50+ fps on ultra (1080p)

What have i done wrong? Should i increase the voltage? Also when my pc crash the screen goes blue and says"machine check exception" like always! And i dunno what this means.Please i just got this pc and my budget is extremely limited.I want your help.i will give the best answer also...thanks in advance

Solution
I'm not rich XD, I guess if you don't mind only playing at 60 fps on CSGO its fine. I'm just super use to 300+ frames I couldn't imagine playing any lower on cs go :p but like we said, if you want to continue with those frames you will need a cpu cooler able to handle that OC

Kavinqt

Distinguished
Your overclock is most likely causing this, your CPU is bottlenecking your GPU like crazy, Upgrade your CPU and you should be fine. or to test if this is truly it get rid of the overclock entirely reset the voltages and test the frames and see if it crashes again. if it doesn't then its the overclock. its probably too high and can't handle it. what voltages did you set to your CPU? if its low maybe try bumping it up a bit. if its too high then lower the 4.0 ghz to like 3.7-3.8 and test it then with a bit lower voltages.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
CPU temps? I looked up that machine check exception error and usually it only occurs on Pentium processors and is usually caused by excessive heat resulting from an overclock.

Here is a quote from Wikipedia:
Normal causes for MCE errors include overheating and/or incorrect hardware installation. Specific manually-induced causes include:

-overclocking (which normally increases heat-output)
-poorly-fitted heatsink/computer fans (the same problem can happen with excessive dust in the CPU fan)
-an overloaded internal or external power-supply (fixable by upgrading)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine-check_exception

Tomatoes

Honorable
Feb 1, 2016
My cpu runs on 40-45 idle and 60-70 while gaming
I do not know about the cpu voltages i will have a look tomorrow.And as i said because my budget was very limited i kept the pentium.It only bottlenecks on csgo tho.As i said in other games it runs perfect.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

I would set the bios back to default and see if it still occurs, if it doesn't you know something about your overclock was causing it.

Kavinqt

Distinguished
Yeah, it's more than likely your overclock just default it test it and if it doesn't happen then buy a new CPU cooler, you can get a decent one for like $30-40 that will keep that CPU cool no problem and then you will be able to re apply your overclock, maybe even a higher overclock.

Tomatoes

Honorable
Feb 1, 2016
Thanks for your answers all of you!!i hope now it will stop crashing.I want to ask you what graphic option are cpu dependant and what gpu dependant.So as to reduce bottleneck

Kavinqt

Distinguished
I don't fully understand your question? Your CPU is a very old CPU and your GPU is a very new one, so your CPU is not good enough to keep up with your GPU, meaning you need an upgrade no amount of overclock will catch it up. for now you will be fine as its not that bad especially if you get to keep your overclock but Id recommend upgrading your motherboard ram and CPU within 6 months.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

In my expiernce most graphical optins have little to no impact on cpu perfomance, if you are cpu limited in a game you will be cpu limited at any settings. That said if they have any options for physics and particle effects in your game turning those down may help a bit.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

That G3258 isn't really old, its a haswell cpu. Its just not very powerful, its a dual core Pentium.

Tomatoes

Honorable
Feb 1, 2016
Why should i change ? I play all my games on ultra 50-60-70+ fps at 1080p no reason to change.but if the crashing continues i will try my best to buy a new one in next yesr maybe.You know some people are not rich like you kavinght...

Kavinqt

Distinguished
I'm not rich XD, I guess if you don't mind only playing at 60 fps on CSGO its fine. I'm just super use to 300+ frames I couldn't imagine playing any lower on cs go :p but like we said, if you want to continue with those frames you will need a cpu cooler able to handle that OC

Solution