Jan 10, 2011
Hi guys,

My Specs are:

I5 4570 3.2Ghz
Corsair VS550W
Saphire Nitro Rx480 nitro+ Oc
8GB DDR3 Kingston Ram
Gigabyte H81M-H Motherboard

I recently bought Rx 480 card. Im loving it but in many games(open world), my cpu usage goes to about 95-100% which causes my FPS to drop while the GPU usage stays at around 60-70%. Batman Arkham Knight, Im able to mantain 60 FPS most of the time, except driving and gliding when the FPS dips to around 40 while the GPU usage remains less and CPU usages gets to around 95+. Same is the case with watchdogs 2, Even at the lowest settings, my gpu usage remains 60% while i get FPS of around 38-45, 60 in cutscenes.

The max CPU temperature goes to around 63 or 64(celsius), while GPU goes upto 75(celsius).

I have run few benchmarks, and Rise of Tomb Raider game, and the GPU usage does go upto 99%, so its clearly not a faulty GPU or a power supply issue(I hope).

Since i have a LG1150 socket, i was thinking of going for I7 4790k. What do you guys think? Will it give me better performance? and also will my build last for a couple of years?

I could go for the latest I5/i7 6k Series, but that will mean changing the motherboard and maybe going for a DDR4 compatible.
If my current build with the upgraded CPU lasts for a couple of years, it will be great.

Would love to know your ideas or solutions

I am gaming at 1080p on a 60Hz Tv.

Thank you

P.S: My motherboard has PCIE2.0 running at 16x, if that matters..

Solution
Even if you didn't replace the motherboard the 4790k runs at 4ghz (4.4 turbo, around 4.2ghz turbo with all 4 cores loaded). The 4570 is likely only able to turbo up to around 3.4ghz with all four cores loaded. 800-1000mhz is a significant improvement upgrading just the cpu alone, especially if the ht helps in those games. The other option of course is to upgrade to skylake or consider waiting for ryzen or kaby lake to see how they perform. Then make a decision based on their cost of upgrade and performance.

Any of those options will mean a new cpu, for skylake/kaby lake if it's a k series cpu it will mean an aftermarket cooler if you don't already have one. It will mean ddr4 ram for any of those 3, a new mobo and a reinstall of windows.

aviral1990

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011

But well it seems to, whats the reason behind the low GPU usage then, and the CPU 100% utilization. I have a clean windows installation and absolutely nothing installed other than games in my system.

fxdroid

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016
First thing is that Batman Arkham City is not ptmized well, second thing is that Watch Dogs 2 likes multi threading :D and 4 cores could be a bit small to run it at very high/ultra in Full HD with RX480. Here is the link from Guru3D where they test this game with RX480 and i7 5960X. Check out scores and you will get your answer ;) WD2 really needs something more than i5 to run more than 50FPS stable.

aviral1990

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
Well thats the thing...I bought Rx 480 to get 50-60 stable FPS, but i dont get that better performance as compared to my previous card(R9 270x) because my GPU is under utilized in the games im playing lol..

I was thinking of going for a i5 4690k or i7 4790k. But since im thinking of shelling money either way, why not go for a i7 which might even handle future games better too..and no fear of bottlenecking

Besides, i have seen youtube videos running arkham knight (re-released) stable at 55 FPS+ using an i7..so im considering it, still confused..Will it be a good investment or no

fxdroid

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016
I5 4570 is a good CPU, unfortunetlly it is locked. I would go for I7 or just wait for the AMD Zen processors :D At the moment we see that most new games like utilizing more than 4 cores :D so I think an upgrade to a better CPU is worth doing it.

Agreed. Kaby Lake and Zen are right around the corner with Kaby Lake due on the 5th of next month. A Upgrading to the 4690 would be a small boost not justified by the expense. Sell the old and invest in the new.

If you do instead decide on upgrading to another 1150 make sure you have the Z97 motherboard.

aviral1990

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
Yeh, i was thinking that, but wont 4790k along with DDR3 be ok for another 2 years or so?? Or will the new kaby lake along with DDR4 be a whole lot better than the current setup? Im not a very big gamer nowdays, in addition i might get married in next year which will put my gaming to end anyway hehe. I just want to make the most of what i have now and hoping it last for some years too. i can wait and change if they are gonna really have a big impact else thinking of going for 4790k for utilizing my rx 480 properly.

So what should i do? And why a Z97 mobo exactly? For overclocking?

Yes, for overclocking. If you have another type then save a bit and purchase the non K.

If I were to be investing $200+ for a CPU upgrade it certainly wouldn't be within my CPU's generation. If someone had the 6100 i3 then an upgrade to the 65,66 or 6700 would be a big improvement. Upgrade from your chip or my 4690K to a 4790K? Not for me. With Win 10 being linked to your MSA instead of your motherboard a new OS won't be necessary( https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/55398-microsoft-account-link-digital-license-windows-10-pc.html ).

I can't assume what the Kaby Lake's performance boost will be regardless of price at the moment. But if I were in a position to upgrade my 4690K it wouldn't be to Skylake either. But they will probably be seeing a price reduction as soon or soon after the new CPUs are rolled out. The 6600K would be a good upgrade should the price drop be significant enough.

fxdroid

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016
Weill it is up to you. You can try to get a used set of I7 4790K plus we say some mobo for overcklocking ;) Could be Asrock Z97 Extreme 4 or Extreme 3 or one of the Asus boards is well. Then you can get some CPU cooler and OC that I7 a bit so you will have more power :D Then it should last for a bit longer. Regarding the new iX 7xxx processors I wouldn't go near to that as they are just a slight improvement of iX 6xxx and it looks like they just have a higher clocks so I do not think it is worth upgrading to. You can try to find some Z170 MoBo and some i7 6700K ;) or you can simply wait a bit and see what will be the cost of AM4 platform...

aviral1990

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011

Well yeah, but well its gonna be a lot of hassle changing the board, ram and well basically a new setup. Anyway apart from all this, do you notice any bottlenecking in your 4690k, especially in open world games? I am gearing towards the fact that my i5 is bottlenecking at 3.2Ghz but could it be another issue too?

Even if you didn't replace the motherboard the 4790k runs at 4ghz (4.4 turbo, around 4.2ghz turbo with all 4 cores loaded). The 4570 is likely only able to turbo up to around 3.4ghz with all four cores loaded. 800-1000mhz is a significant improvement upgrading just the cpu alone, especially if the ht helps in those games. The other option of course is to upgrade to skylake or consider waiting for ryzen or kaby lake to see how they perform. Then make a decision based on their cost of upgrade and performance.

Any of those options will mean a new cpu, for skylake/kaby lake if it's a k series cpu it will mean an aftermarket cooler if you don't already have one. It will mean ddr4 ram for any of those 3, a new mobo and a reinstall of windows.

Solution

aviral1990

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
Well I have seen 4970k doesn't have much performance difference as compared to the 6700k. And I'm just hoping my current setup can run for a couple of years. In any case, I'm thinking I might wait for kaby lake, though I'm gearing towards buying a 4790k only as cpus arnt improving much in these years, maybe when Intel really brings new technology or core, then might think of an upgrade?

That much is true. I think the last HUGE CPU might have been the 2500K. Since then 5-10%...