Solved

Is the MSI B150 GAMING M3 compatible with 4th or 5th generation Intel processors?

Hi

So my current motherboard is on the way out (asus m5a97 r2.0 with amd fx8350 and 16gb ddr3) and Im thinking its time to make the switch to intel as there is no DDR4 support with AMD right now?

Ideally I would like to stay at 16gb ram, as my main PC use is music production and post production audio for film. Im thinking an I5 minimum, or an I7 if the price to performance ratio works out. Im not too bothered about having the newest generation or the fastest option, more something that will at least be a bit better than the current setup and support DDR4 and future upgrades as I dont have a huge amount of money to spend at the moment.

The MSI B150 GAMING M3 motherboard looks like it fulfills my needs yet Im wondering if it is possible to use older generation processors with it or whether only the 6th generation ones will work?

If thats not compatbie, is it still possible to get older generation compatible motherboards? As it looks like some of the processors are much better value to performance (say for example the 4770 is only just over £200 on some sites at the moment).
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about msi b150 gaming compatible 4th 5th generation intel processors
  1. It depends on the socket the motherboard has. Generation doesn't matter as long as the motherboard BIOS has been flashed to support it, which is no problem with older generations.
  2. the problem is that your not looking at this the right way. that MSi board you speak of is an LGA 1151 Die cut for CPUs
    your cpu though you did not mention the exact model (ie I5-4750 or I7-4070k) would be if indeed a 4th generation cpu LGA1150 and that cpu would not fit on that board you mentioned.

    first define what CPU you have, then we can help you do a better search for a motherboard but if your cpu is 4th gen , then z87 if non K cpu z97 if K cpu
  3. The Paladin said:
    the problem is that your not looking at this the right way. that MSi board you speak of is an LGA 1151 Die cut for CPUs
    your cpu though you did not mention the exact model (ie I5-4750 or I7-4070k) would be if indeed a 4th generation cpu LGA1150 and that cpu would not fit on that board you mentioned.

    first define what CPU you have, then we can help you do a better search for a motherboard but if your cpu is 4th gen , then z87 if non K cpu z97 if K cpu


    The CPU I have is an AMD FX8350. I am talking about buying a new motherboard, new cpu and new RAM. Thanks to both yourself and PC-4Life Ive realised I need to look at socket types. As far as I can see the 1150 socket doesnt support DDR4?

    So therefore I guess is there much performance difference going for say an i7 4770 with 16gb ddr3 vs going the i5 6500 with 16gb ddr4? As from where I am looking those are roughly the same price. Im talking also performance in terms of music production (so RAM and cpu and disk write/read times performance rather than graphics as Im not bothered about game performance)

    My main concern re the specs of the motherboard is maximum number of usb ports (I currently use 14 USB ports, through the use of 2 extension cards) and what the SATA options are (currently use 2 SSD's and 2 HDD) and whether there is potential for installing a M.2 PCIe ssd in the future.

    Im not too fussed about overclocking either as I am more concered with a cool and quiet system.
  4. oldtoby420 said:
    The Paladin said:
    the problem is that your not looking at this the right way. that MSi board you speak of is an LGA 1151 Die cut for CPUs
    your cpu though you did not mention the exact model (ie I5-4750 or I7-4070k) would be if indeed a 4th generation cpu LGA1150 and that cpu would not fit on that board you mentioned.

    first define what CPU you have, then we can help you do a better search for a motherboard but if your cpu is 4th gen , then z87 if non K cpu z97 if K cpu


    The CPU I have is an AMD FX8350. I am talking about buying a new motherboard, new cpu and new RAM. Thanks to both yourself and PC-4Life Ive realised I need to look at socket types. As far as I can see the 1150 socket doesnt support DDR4?

    So therefore I guess is there much performance difference going for say an i7 4770 with 16gb ddr3 vs going the i5 6500 with 16gb ddr4? As from where I am looking those are roughly the same price. Im talking also performance in terms of music production (so RAM and cpu and disk write/read times performance rather than graphics as Im not bothered about game performance)

    My main concern re the specs of the motherboard is maximum number of usb ports (I currently use 14 USB ports, through the use of 2 extension cards) and what the SATA options are (currently use 2 SSD's and 2 HDD) and whether there is potential for installing a M.2 PCIe ssd in the future.

    Im not too fussed about overclocking either as I am more concered with a cool and quiet system.


    Loads of USB ports (any preference to 2.0 or 3.0?)
    M.2 slot
    2 SSD n 2 Hard drives FAST.

    Gimme a few minutes, i'll see what I can find.
  5. a mixture of 2.0 and 3.0 is fine. most audio interfaces and devices are still being made as usb2 or thunderbolt as usb3 isnt much of an upgrade so usb3 is only for storage, all my control surfaces and sound card are usb2
  6. oldtoby420 said:


    Loads of USB ports (any preference to 2.0 or 3.0?)
    M.2 slot
    2 SSD n 2 Hard drives FAST.

    Gimme a few minutes, i'll see what I can find.


    a mixture of 2.0 and 3.0 is fine. most audio interfaces and devices are still being made as usb2 or thunderbolt as usb3 isnt much of an upgrade so usb3 is only for storage, all my control surfaces and sound card are usb2

    This is the best thing I could find
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5138#ov

    It's quite expensive at £250, so what's your budget?

    Or this which is £160
    http://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Fatal1ty%20Z170%20Gaming-ITXac/
  7. PC-4LIFE said:
    oldtoby420 said:


    Loads of USB ports (any preference to 2.0 or 3.0?)
    M.2 slot
    2 SSD n 2 Hard drives FAST.

    Gimme a few minutes, i'll see what I can find.


    a mixture of 2.0 and 3.0 is fine. most audio interfaces and devices are still being made as usb2 or thunderbolt as usb3 isnt much of an upgrade so usb3 is only for storage, all my control surfaces and sound card are usb2


    This is the best thing I could find
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5138#ov

    It's quite expensive at £250, so what's your budget?

    Or this which is £160
    http://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Fatal1ty%20Z170%20Gaming-ITXac/


    I am thinking a budget of around £400 for the motherboard, cpu and ram. Thanks for the suggestions PC-4LIFE :)
    I think both of those are out of my budget if I am going to go for the either of the cpu I was considering.

    I was considering this if I went for the i7 4770s processor:
    http://tinyurl.com/hzsdjsc
    with this motherboard:
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87%20Pro4/?cat=Specifications
    with this RAM:
    http://tinyurl.com/zcd2usx


    or if I went for the i5 6500:
    http://tinyurl.com/j9en8eg
    with this motherboard:
    https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B150-GAMING-M3.html#hero-overview
    with this RAM:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0123ZCD36/?tag=pcp0f-21

    The MSI/i5 option gives me the m.2 and DDR4 RAM but not necessarily the same performance that the i7/asrock option (which also has significantly more usb options). I think im leaning toward the i7 option unless there is another option or something im missing with regards to the difference between the performance of the 2 possible set ups.

    Would there be an advantage to a more expensive motherboard and a slightly worse cpu or ram?
  8. Best answer
    oldtoby420 said:
    PC-4LIFE said:
    oldtoby420 said:


    Loads of USB ports (any preference to 2.0 or 3.0?)
    M.2 slot
    2 SSD n 2 Hard drives FAST.

    Gimme a few minutes, i'll see what I can find.


    a mixture of 2.0 and 3.0 is fine. most audio interfaces and devices are still being made as usb2 or thunderbolt as usb3 isnt much of an upgrade so usb3 is only for storage, all my control surfaces and sound card are usb2


    This is the best thing I could find
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5138#ov

    It's quite expensive at £250, so what's your budget?

    Or this which is £160
    http://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Fatal1ty%20Z170%20Gaming-ITXac/



    I am thinking a budget of around £400 for the motherboard, cpu and ram. Thanks for the suggestions PC-4LIFE :)
    I think both of those are out of my budget if I am going to go for the either of the cpu I was considering.

    I was considering this if I went for the i7 4770s processor:
    http://tinyurl.com/hzsdjsc
    with this motherboard:
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87%20Pro4/?cat=Specifications
    with this RAM:
    http://tinyurl.com/zcd2usx


    or if I went for the i5 6500:
    http://tinyurl.com/j9en8eg
    with this motherboard:
    https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B150-GAMING-M3.html#hero-overview
    with this RAM:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0123ZCD36/?tag=pcp0f-21

    The MSI/i5 option gives me the m.2 and DDR4 RAM but not necessarily the same performance that the i7/asrock option (which also has significantly more usb options). I think im leaning toward the i7 option unless there is another option or something im missing with regards to the difference between the performance of the 2 possible set ups.

    Would there be an advantage to a more expensive motherboard and a slightly worse cpu or ram?


    No, because the system would process things much slower.
Ask a new question

Read More

DDR4 Intel CPUs Motherboards Memory Upgrade