Will an fx-4170 bottleneck too hard?

ShitPC

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016
I currently have an fx-4170, agtx 660, and 8 gigs of ram in my pc. Although it works for most games at lowest settings, i'm looking to upgrade. My current plan is to buy a gtx 1070 right now, and upgrade my processor later once zen is released so prices drop. Is it worth it to buy the 1070 now and cpu later, or will my fx 4170 bottleneck the 1070 so hard that I won't see any reasonable framerate jumps?

Solution
You'll certainly see frame rate improvements, but the 1070 will definitely be held back by your CPU. Since you already plan to upgrade, there is no good reason not to get a 1070 now and upgrade the CPU when the time comes. The alternative would be to upgrade the CPU/Motherboard/RAM, but you'll likely see less overall improvement with your current GPU and the major overhaul than you will with getting the GPU first. This also gives you the opportunity to see how Ryzen stacks up against Intel's line-up before committing to your platform upgrade. You'll probably end up with a 1070 either way, unless AMD pulls a rabbit out of their hat and drops their Vega cards on us soon.

Also, depending on the rest of your equipment, you might see if...
You'll certainly see frame rate improvements, but the 1070 will definitely be held back by your CPU. Since you already plan to upgrade, there is no good reason not to get a 1070 now and upgrade the CPU when the time comes. The alternative would be to upgrade the CPU/Motherboard/RAM, but you'll likely see less overall improvement with your current GPU and the major overhaul than you will with getting the GPU first. This also gives you the opportunity to see how Ryzen stacks up against Intel's line-up before committing to your platform upgrade. You'll probably end up with a 1070 either way, unless AMD pulls a rabbit out of their hat and drops their Vega cards on us soon.

Also, depending on the rest of your equipment, you might see if your 4170 has any extra headroom for overclocking. A couple hundred MHz may be enough to tide you over with a 1070 installed.

Solution