i5 6600 (no k) not enough for open world cpu intensive game like Witcher III and Assassin's Creed: Unity?

kato95

Commendable
Dec 28, 2016
Greetings, so I have an i5-6600 (no k) + gtx 1070 and I played Assassin's Creed Unity, at some places (places with a bunch of npc) I got 40-46fps (it mostly stays 55-60fps on places with less npc) with all settings maxed out except the anti aliasing, I set it to MSAA 2x. When I checked the CPU usage using MSI Afterburner I found out that the usage of all 4 cores are always 100% all the time while the gpu usage is only around 60% to 80%. Do you think my i5-6600 is bottlenecking my gpu in such open world and probably cpu intensive game? My monitor is 1080 resolution with 60Hz refresh rate. Then I saw this video on youtube. This person uses i7 6700 (no k) for his processor and GTX 1070 Founders Edition for his GPU, the framerate seems stable above 65 fps. I've also tried lowering the Anti Aliasing to FXAA but no significant improvement. If I were to upgrade to i7 6700 will I get the same performance? or is there another factor that effects the fps? I read in some forums that open world/sandbox game like The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt that runs with i5 6600+GTX1070 also got bottlenecked by the i5 6600 processor. Since I love open world games I won't mind getting that processor if it is needed to run such games at above 60 fps.

Forum about Witcher Bottleneck: https://steamcommunity.com/app/292030/discussions/0/357...

My computer specs are as follows:
Monitor 1080p 60hz
Processor i5 6600
Motherboard ASUS H170 D3 Plus
Corsair Value DDR 3 RAM 8GB (2x4GB)
Galax Ex Extreme GTX 1070

video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzUOMzpb_KU

Solution
Game Debate is just based on the game devs recommended minimum I guess, but you are in a better position becuse as you say you can physically check RAM usage. I guess developers overshoot the minimum needed to cover themselves. Ironically older AAA games will sometimes be more demanding due to a less optimized game engine. Do you know if all four cores are at 100%? And are you sure the game process itself is using that 100% CPU? Also memory bandwidth and memory amount aren't the same thing, so that could be a factor, but ultimately I'd expect you to do a little better with your setup.

Perhaps a clean OS install would help, and maybe a reinstallation of the c++ files and hardware drivers too. Is always a shame when a new system fails...

kato95

Commendable
Dec 28, 2016

Assassin's Creed: Unity is an old game tho.. Premiered in November 2014. But I heard it is a failure in pc optimization. But in that youtube video it can reach 65+fps with an i7 6700 (no k) processor. A Tom's Hardware Moderator also said that I shouldn't trust Youtube that much and I heard that i5 6600 is a great processor to be paired with GTX 1070 and won't bottleneck the GPU. Some of my friends even said that even if I upgrade to i7 6700 it'd be a waste because I'll probably only gain around 4-5fps. Some said it'll only increase the performance by 5%. So I doubt whether there's another factor that could cause the low fps? RAM usage is ok I guess. This game uses around 4GB of my 8GB RAM. Or probably because my system is still DDR3 not DDR4? Sorry Noob in PC building. This is my first build. :D

Quoted from Tom's Hardware Moderator synphul:
"In past benchmarks the i7's performed slightly better in witcher 3 than the i5's. Hyper threading helped maintain higher minimum fps and improved frame times a bit. If it's worth a 50% price increase for 5% or so performance then sure. Nothing wrong with going with an i7 for sure.

It's not all open world games, it really depends on the game. Witcher 3 specifically showed a bit of improvement with a hyper threaded i7 over an i5. The i5 did quite a bit better than the i3, even though they both process 4 threads at a time the i5 has 4 actual cores which gives it the advantage over the i3. In a similar but less significant way the i7's ht imrpoves performance a bit.

I find youtube vids hard to verify, everyone seems to be getting different results with different hardware a lot of the time. Not saying they're totally fake but a lot of variables. Even the older 4690 i5's were capable of pushing around 60fps and only dipping into the 50's at times, I can't imagine the 6600 doing worse.

I'm also not sure how things are running with ddr3 and a skylake cpu. Ddr3 typically runs at 1.5v, ddr4 runs at 1.2v and ddr3L (low power ddr3) runs at 1.35v. Skylake according to intel should run on ddr4 or ddr3L (which is already .15v higher than ddr4). Your ddr3 is .15v higher than that. The memory controller is on the cpu itself and pushing ram faster with higher voltage is typically considered an overclock. Having a locked cpu I'm not sure how that plays out. Maybe there is a bit more stuttering or something going on because of the ram/cpu combo there. You may want to ask in the forums since I'm not sure how that effects the memory if at all, if it undervolts and therefor slows the ram down some? I can't really say.

Some people say it's fine, personally I choose to believe intel's warnings against it. If nothing else than for the reason they go out of their way to say ddr4/ddr3L when they openly offer overclocking oriented components like the k series chips. There must be a reason why and even an xmp profile with ddr4 isn't going to increase the voltage through the memory controller like running out of spec ddr3 ram. In the past there were boards that supported 2 types of memory but it was moving forward so the newer ram it also supported was lower voltage than the ram the platform was built around. Not going backwards to support higher voltage ram through a memory controller designed for a specific platform."

I'd guess you don't have enough RAM either, and yes most people will advise against using regular voltage DDR3 with Skylake, although I doubt it affects the memory controller itself just because of higher voltage. This suggests amount of RAM is a problem, as is the imbalanced CPU/GPU combo http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=17084&game=Assassins%20Creed:%20Unity&p_make=Intel&p_deriv=Core+i5-6600+3.3GHz&gc_make=Nvidia&gc_deriv=GeForce+GTX+1070+MSI+Founders+8GB+Edition&ram=8&screenRes_width_FPS=1920&screenRes_height_FPS=1080&checkSubmit=#systemrequirements

I guess even a modern i5 is still just an i5.

kato95

Commendable
Dec 28, 2016

I've tested it in game debate as well but when I look at MSI Afterburner this game only use 4,5GB of my RAM max. Never go more than that. What is your opinion in this? Oh and GTA V took 7.5GB of my RAM but still run at 60+fps smoothly.

Game Debate is just based on the game devs recommended minimum I guess, but you are in a better position becuse as you say you can physically check RAM usage. I guess developers overshoot the minimum needed to cover themselves. Ironically older AAA games will sometimes be more demanding due to a less optimized game engine. Do you know if all four cores are at 100%? And are you sure the game process itself is using that 100% CPU? Also memory bandwidth and memory amount aren't the same thing, so that could be a factor, but ultimately I'd expect you to do a little better with your setup.

Perhaps a clean OS install would help, and maybe a reinstallation of the c++ files and hardware drivers too. Is always a shame when a new system fails to live up to expectations. You could aslo make sure your power plan is set to performance, but ultimately I think you could be stuck with what you have unless you get a more powerful CPU.

Solution

kato95

Commendable
Dec 28, 2016

yes I could see it from MSI Afterburner in game monitoring that all four cores stay at 100% all the time sometimes drop to 98% tho but only for a while and this is a new Windows 10 installed it a month ago and I have never opened untrusted sites on this pc (should be clean). Power plan is set to High not power saver or balanced. Thank you for your answer anyways! :)

kato95

Commendable
Dec 28, 2016

it is sitting at 65C max. And I used intel stock cooler. :)