i5 750 upgrade for 3 monitor setup, with 4K.

Anwweb

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016
Hi,

I have a i5 750 CPU & Asrock P55 Pro (non usb3). My understanding is that this is still an OK CPU for most things so in theory, considering cost / other options of replacing a MB/CPU maybe pointless.

So my question is what mb / CPU combo (used is OK) would you advise for around £100. Looking at second hand chips Core i5-2500k something like this sit’s around £50, but would then require a new mother board.

I wanted to go to itx, but my lga 1156 has only 2 mb that are around £100, which got me thing a new mb / cpu combo might be better. I don’t mind AMD, I am not a gamer really. So it is for work use, I have a triple monitor setup and this is where I have noticed my system becoming slower. I’ve installed Display Fusion its becoming slow / laggy with multi programs. The machine only has 4GB,I will likely upgrade this to 8GB before anything else, oh it’s got a SSD but I think my MB is maybe limiting it to 3GB sata? Which may also be the problem the SDD can do 6GB with another chipset (or MB)?

Even if this fixes my problem, I am still left with the fact that my case is broken and I would like to go smaller, so itx. So again comes back to buying a new MB and should I then rethink the CPU. I noted I could buy a new AMD1 MB and CPU combo for under £100 or FM2+. Then started looking via CEX as to their second have processors lots of LGA 1155 i5’s here around the £60, but what other alternatives would you guys advice even if is an older AMD. I’m not worried about future expansion. All I need to do is run a lot browser windows, and a office / email / skype apps across the following screen setup:

I need to run 3 x 24” monitors. 1 x 4k (dell P2415Q) 1 x LG (21:9 UltraWide 25UM65) another dell in 1920 x 1080. My current MB has no gpu on board, think that’s a CPU thing right.

I just got the gtx 730 (2GB – 64bit) but at the time hadn’t purchased a 4k monitor and just wanted the cheapest card that could support 3 monitors as my older 5450 couldn’t.

So looking at this, I may need to return it for something that can run 4k (although its says the gtx 730 it can run HDMI at 30HZ), any suggestions (cheapest cards) So cost of change CPU / MB should be no more that £100, as I just noticed I need to change 730 to run the 4K res  so £150 against a GPU / MB / CPU changes. Any ideas (OK with used CPU’s / older tech to keep price down)?

The case / memory are outside of the above budget. Oh a PSU isn’t a problem, have a 600W and access to a 800w, be nice to have on board USB, then I could also return the PCI USB 3 card too.

TIA

Solution
Until recently, I had the i5 750 and has been a solid workhorse for 6 years and gaming quite happily BF4,Payday 2 with an R9 270.
Giving the many point stated above, your easiest thing that might solve your 3 monitor performance problem is to upgrade your graphics card, but if that doesnt solve it, then mobo and cpu will have to go. The H55 mobo runs at PCIe x16 2.0 so is limiting graphics bandwidth which might bottleneck a faster card but untilyou plug it in and try it, you wont really know.
Either way, I think you will need to replace gfx card regardless of the cpu/mobo swap so do that first.
Until recently, I had the i5 750 and has been a solid workhorse for 6 years and gaming quite happily BF4,Payday 2 with an R9 270.
Giving the many point stated above, your easiest thing that might solve your 3 monitor performance problem is to upgrade your graphics card, but if that doesnt solve it, then mobo and cpu will have to go. The H55 mobo runs at PCIe x16 2.0 so is limiting graphics bandwidth which might bottleneck a faster card but untilyou plug it in and try it, you wont really know.
Either way, I think you will need to replace gfx card regardless of the cpu/mobo swap so do that first.

Solution