FX-6300 vs FX-8300. Which do I choose for gaming?

Eballtr

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
Ok guys, I recently picked up an AM3 board on a great sale and now I need a CPU to go along with it. After a few hours of research I've narrowed down my options to the FX-6300 and FX-8300. Gaming, web browsing, and video streaming is really all I'll be doing with this PC, no content creation. I already have an RX 470 so I need to know which CPU will be the best match for it. I know I'll have a bottleneck no matter what but I need to know which CPU will bottleneck me the least. The 8300 has more cores but I heard it has less overclocking headroom and therefore lower single core performance as opposed to the 6300. So yeah any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Solution
Ok, that board supposedly will support the 220w 9 series cpus, so basically can handle any of the 8 series with ease. In that case, I'd skip the 6300 altogether as well as the 8300 and jump on an 8350 with a very good cooler and OC it as high as it'll go. It's the only way you'll get any equitable performance from the aged fx Vishera lines. And I'm not talking a measly 4.3GHz, that board should by all accounts handle a 4.8GHz+ OC with no worries.

Failing that, I'd return the board and get your money back since any money invested in FX Vishera now is almost wasted.

Eballtr

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016

I've actually done very thorough research into the cores in AMD FX series CPUs and most games will treat it as an 8 core in regard to the FX 8300. I'm purely trying to decide between the higher single core performance or having an additional 2(ish) cores

So you do know then that the FX 6300 is a triple core CPU in it's float point performance?

I'd still get the FX 8300 personally, but if all the games you play are single to dual core heavy, then the fx 6300 is probably better.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Missing the most important info. What mobo. There are some 970 and all the 760g series that really don't accept any of the fx 8 core, and if they do, OC will be extremely limited. In that respect you'd be much better off with the 6300 as it's OC can make up considerably for the fx generally low IPC.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ok, that board supposedly will support the 220w 9 series cpus, so basically can handle any of the 8 series with ease. In that case, I'd skip the 6300 altogether as well as the 8300 and jump on an 8350 with a very good cooler and OC it as high as it'll go. It's the only way you'll get any equitable performance from the aged fx Vishera lines. And I'm not talking a measly 4.3GHz, that board should by all accounts handle a 4.8GHz+ OC with no worries.

Failing that, I'd return the board and get your money back since any money invested in FX Vishera now is almost wasted.

Solution