i3-6100 with a discrete graphics card vs. i5-6500 using integrated graphics

agillies

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2013
Hi,

For my PC build, would it be more effective to use an i3-6100 CPU with a discrete graphics card or an i5-6500 using integrated graphics? I'll be running some basic games (Age of Empires 2, possibly Crusader Kings 2) but mostly doing some light programming and using programs such as Audacity and Movie Maker.

My total budget for the build is around £500, so I was thinking of going with the i5 and possibly adding a graphics card in the future.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
IDK your post is kinda difficult...

You could wire some potatoes together and get a playable experience for AoEII.

Light programming and Audacity and Movie Maker also don't really require much of anything at all.

an I3-6100 with a GTX 1060 6GB will provide a much better experience in modern games than an I5-6500 using integrated. Either one can play age of empires or do some movie editing.

The GPU is for gaming, but you don't game, so it is impossible to really suggest it over a better CPU.

agillies

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2013

I haven't taken a good look at discrete graphics cards yet; are there any i3 + graphics combinations you'd suggest over the i5?

IDK your post is kinda difficult...

You could wire some potatoes together and get a playable experience for AoEII.

Light programming and Audacity and Movie Maker also don't really require much of anything at all.

an I3-6100 with a GTX 1060 6GB will provide a much better experience in modern games than an I5-6500 using integrated. Either one can play age of empires or do some movie editing.

The GPU is for gaming, but you don't game, so it is impossible to really suggest it over a better CPU.

Solution

agillies

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2013

I see, thanks for pointing this out. I'm also happy to go for an i3 with no graphics (for now) if this makes more sense. I assume the i5 would give a better overall experience though. At the moment I'm using a laptop with an i7-3632QM CPU and an AMD Radeon HD 8570M graphics card, but it doesn't seem to run particularly smoothly with anything.

RonRaxXx

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
If running games isn't very important to you at the moment (running them in any sort of quality), I'd go with the i5 and then add a GPU later.

Gives you headroom for what you want now and adding something like a 1060 6GB or RX 480 8GB will turn it into a nice gaming machine to last you years.

TRENDING THREADS