I5-6500 and overclockability

UltrasAvanti

Commendable
Jan 4, 2017
Hello, everyone. I just upgraded my PC. My new specs are I5-6500, gtx 1060 zotac amp 6GB, 8GB RAM DDR4 and a ASUS Z170-A.
I'm pretty noob in overclocking. My question is: will I be able to overclock my I5-6500 and how much? And by the way, do you think I made myself a decent gaming rig?

Solution
Yes you can overclock it provided you have the right BIOS version http://overclocking.guide/asus-z170-non-k-overclocking-guide/

You could feasibly get 4GHz out of it as it's a relatively low power chip.

Non-K chips are not designed for overclocking and dont support all the features that a z170 board offers.
Yes you can overclock it provided you have the right BIOS version http://overclocking.guide/asus-z170-non-k-overclocking-guide/

You could feasibly get 4GHz out of it as it's a relatively low power chip.

Non-K chips are not designed for overclocking and dont support all the features that a z170 board offers.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well it won't fry, and since you have a Z class board you do have some options.

What your CPU lacks is an unlocked multiplier. But you do have access to the maximum boost multiplier the CPU supports, so you could run it at a constant 3.6Ghz with no power saving.

You can also do some minor overclocking with the BCLK, maybe push it close to 4Ghz if you are lucky.

The machine as a whole...depending on what you are looking to play, it's pretty good. I play Forza Horizon 3 on my desktop (in my sig) and between it and Windows 10, they use almost 10gb of RAM. We are approaching a time of 16gb RAM being the sweet spot, but you should get a good amount of time from the current spec.

Should have bought an asrock b150/h170 hyper.
4.2ghz was just a walk in the park for me.

As has already been said though in all fairness in 99.99% of cases the stock clock is good enough , its just not a necessity at all.
You at least got faster ram compatibility with the z-series board & at least didn't spend on something monstrously expensive.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

There is very little risk in overclocking. The CPU will protect itself from thermal issues. This CPU likely won't need any additional voltage for the minor improvements that can be made, and it certainly won't need to go as high as a unlocked chip is capable of. And even if it does, the Z170A can handle that with ease. As long as you don't set the voltage well above what is considered the normal maximum for Skylake (about 1.3 volts, more requires premium cooling)

Since the BCLK is unganged from a lot of other clock frequencies on Skylake there is not a lot of risk of instability in other components.

Keep in mind there is no physical difference between an i5-6500 and an i5-6600k aside from a little binning. While it may have slightly higher leakage currents or other factors that prevented it from being an unlocked model it is still the same CPU.