Would a R7 250 fit in a optiplex 960?

Challenjour

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
So in my possession I have an old optiplex 960, that I use as my main desktop. I also play couple games with that thing, but I do not always get the best performance, even when I turn it down to low settings 720p. I decided to get a graphics card and stick it into this pc, but I'm not sure if it'll fit. My computer is a desktop size, and the specs are:
Intel core i2 q9400 quad core 2.66 ghz
8 gigs of ddr2 ram
232 gb hard drive
and a 255 wattage power supply wih 18 amp.
Another question is could my power supply handle with such a low wattage like that for the whole system after installing the gpu? It's a little difficult upgrading the psu too, considering how small my case is. Any answers would be great thanks a lot.

Solution
Is yours the full size desktop, or the thinner SFF sized desktop? like.. does it look good when laid flat horizontally? Your Power supply is a bit on the low side for wattage, and i would upgrade that. There are many good choices of video cards that don't require a power connector. Personally if i went this route, I would go with the 1050ti. Many examples that don't need a power connector. My favorite is the MSI LowProfile one here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137081

I currently also have a C2Quad Q9400 that i picked up at a library sale. Whole computer for $50 lol. I installed it into a Gigabyte 775 socket mobo and use that as a backup/extra system.. currently have a 750ti with that computer, which...

Samaratin

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
Is yours the full size desktop, or the thinner SFF sized desktop? like.. does it look good when laid flat horizontally? Your Power supply is a bit on the low side for wattage, and i would upgrade that. There are many good choices of video cards that don't require a power connector. Personally if i went this route, I would go with the 1050ti. Many examples that don't need a power connector. My favorite is the MSI LowProfile one here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137081

I currently also have a C2Quad Q9400 that i picked up at a library sale. Whole computer for $50 lol. I installed it into a Gigabyte 775 socket mobo and use that as a backup/extra system.. currently have a 750ti with that computer, which was the spiritual predecessor to the 1050ti. If you do deside to upgrade power supply, my suggestion is go with any of the Corsair Modular ones that are under $50. They're usually on sale quite often, and many times include rebates :) Happy Upgrading to you, and good luck.

Solution

Challenjour

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017

Yeah the size is desktop, not the sff or MT. And so a regular psu like that would fit in the case? If so, I would upgrade immediately. And I could probably invest in a little more money and go with the 1050 ti, thank you for answering :).

Samaratin

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
Normally i go with EVGA video cards and have several, but for a SFF build, i bought the MSI 750ti Low Profile one, and its been great in my HTPC. Plan to get the Low profile 1050ti some time soon to swap. The reason i suggest the Low Profile one is that its the only one out that is low profile.. you can pick up a refurbed OEM system, toss it in, and have a cheap HTPC. if you pay attention and get microATX vs a microBTX motherboard refurb, then you can swap cases to make it look more living room friendly. The performance of the 1050ti has been around the same or slightly better than the old 960 which sold in the $200+ range a year ago.

Challenjour

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017

Alright thanks, so can only Low profile gpu's fit in the desktop size Optiplex 960? I've been looking at the r7 250 for quite some time and I don't think I can find a Low profile gpu that people will sell for a cheap price.