Why is the RX 480 considered bad?

inhumanCRAZYGUN

Commendable
Dec 8, 2016
In general besides some heat, and power consumption issues why is it considered bad compared to a GTX 1060 because it seems worth it to for the RX 480 for a good $30-$50 less

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
It's not considered bad. The only thing I can think of was that some reviewers noticed that the reference card was exceeding the maximum rated power draw through the mobo PCIe slot according to the spec. And that wasn't even really an issue, but got blown out of proportion due to a handful of unconfirmed cases of peoples mobos getting fried. And AMD released a new driver that fixed the non-issue within a couple weeks anyway.

Regarding heat, the reference card may run hot (which tends to be true of pretty much every reference card, which is why you shouldn't buy them), but other than that it seems fine. Overall it measures up pretty well with the GTX 1060, and anyone who claims otherwise is likely ill-informed or an Nvidia fanboy.

Relevant anecdote:
I recently bought an MSI RX 480 Armor 4G OC. It was one of the cheapest RX 480s I could find, which typically means poorer cooling. After undervolting my card, I've been running Unigine Valley benchmark on "Extreme HD" for close to an hour. My card peaks at 70 C, with an pretty much inaudible fan speed of 27%. The monitoring software I'm using reports an average "GPU chip power" of 85 W. Seems pretty good to me.

TRENDING THREADS