Best $200-$400 graphics card?

CcGJakX

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
I am looking to upgrade the graphics card in my PC. I have done some research but can't make up my mind so I'm just asking people who have experience with modern graphics cards around that price range. I have been looking at cards such as the rx 480, gtx 1060 as well as 1070's and the r9 fury has also shown up in my search. I have no preference to brand and it does not have to be the most expensive or the cheapest, I just want something that will give me a good price to performance ratio. The 200-400 price range isn't totally solid, I can go higher or lower I just thought that would be the price range to find what I'm looking for.

Specs:
CPU:i7 4790 (not k) @3.6 GHz
RAM: 8gb
PSU: CX 600
GPU: r9 280
Monitor: 1080p @144hz

Solution
R9 Fury isn't too good for the $300-350 price range when the 1070 is around, IMO.

The best for the money is GTX 1070, but it depends on your games really (if they're GPU intensive, 1070 all the way)

If you wanna step down to RX 480 / GTX 1060 gear, 8 GB RX 480 reference model from XFX checks in $230 at newegg in my price range, which is $25 down from normal I think. Pretty solid card imo.
R9 Fury isn't too good for the $300-350 price range when the 1070 is around, IMO.

The best for the money is GTX 1070, but it depends on your games really (if they're GPU intensive, 1070 all the way)

If you wanna step down to RX 480 / GTX 1060 gear, 8 GB RX 480 reference model from XFX checks in $230 at newegg in my price range, which is $25 down from normal I think. Pretty solid card imo.

Solution
You could get a non-reference RX 480 8gb (I suggets it over a gtx 1060 since now it is more or less on par with it in DX11 and surpasses it in DX12 and Vulkan). If you wnt more perfomance you can get a gtx 1070 but with the imminent launch of AMD Vega gpu's I don't suggest doing so just yet. In your place, I'd keep the R9 280 for a few more months (until price waves from the new release adjust (both from Nvidia and AMD)). There can be a competitive (or even slightly better) amd solution to the gtx 1070 in that price range.

To max out 1080p @ 144 Hz, you'd want the GTX 1070. The Fury is not a GPU that I would even consider in 2017. I like both the GTX 1060 6GB and RX 480 as well but they are a tier below in performance.

I also agree with JackNaylorPE's opinion on the MSI 1070 Gaming X. I'm a fan of EVGA's warranty policy and customer support, but if I were to focus exclusively on the product itself, then know that the MSI brand offers great products that I would strongly consider. 18 months ago I owned the MSI GTX 970 4G Gaming card and I loved it. The one negative I can state is that they are absolutely, positively horrible when it comes to their rebate policy. In my opinion, they have set it up to frustrate the customer to not bother submitting it. I'm an extraordinarily patient person and I gave up on trying to submit my $10 rebate for my GTX 970. They make an excellent product, but I would never bank on a rebate from that company. It's just my own personal experience.

We've encountered no problems so far.... My son has twin MSI Gaming X 970s and he bought them when MSI nVidia offered the free game bundle + rebate. He bought one when away at college, sending it to his home address and his college room mate did too. My son then bought the 2nd 970 from the roomate for $xx off and let him keep the rebate and the 3 games.

TRENDING THREADS