rx 470 or gtx 1050 ti , PSU PROBLEM

powerrang

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
Hey guys, sorry if this is answered before, but i'm sitting on the fence which card to buy.
Choices are rx 470 or gtx 1050 ti, i know the rx 470 demolishesh gtx 1050 ti , but the problem is that i don't think that my PSU ( Golden Field atx500W, very shitty one i know) has the 8 pin that rx 470 requires, soo i don't know if there is any connector/adapter that would help??
i5 3470 8gb

Solution

You need a power supply that has the connectors you need. Going from Molex to PCIe is a bad idea. Not only could you stress the power supply, but most adapters you find online use poor wiring. If you want good performance, I'd get the RX 470 and a new power supply.

Although the 500W (W1 series) is not the best unit EVGA has ever made, it should be more than sufficient for your current setup. The best part is that this unit can be had for about $35 in the USA.
That PSU is junk. Unless you want to start a fire, I wouldn't run any dedicated graphics off of it even if they only draw their power from the motherboard.

RX 470 wrecks the 105 ti. I'd get the RX 470.

You need a new power supply. Please list full system specs so I know what you're trying to power.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I wouldn't use any connector/adapter. If the PSU doesn't have the appropriate connectors, there's a reason for that.

A 1050ti would likely be ok on that PSU, assuming it can actually provide anywhere near it's "500W".

Ideally, I'd replace the PSU and get the 470.

Conclusions

Pros: Good voltage regulation, good ripple suppression

Cons: Can’t even deliver 400W, low quality capacitors and fan, only 1 peripheral connector, very noisy

Bottom Line: The performance isn’t too bad at lower loads, but it only has 1 peripheral connector and it’s very noisy.

Score: 4/10

I took that from The el-cheapo power supply roundup at Hardware Insights.

It doesn't even do 400w. Ouch.

I also don't see the icons for any safety or efficiency certifications on pictures of the unit or its packaging. I do not trust this unit.

You need a power supply that has the connectors you need. Going from Molex to PCIe is a bad idea. Not only could you stress the power supply, but most adapters you find online use poor wiring. If you want good performance, I'd get the RX 470 and a new power supply.

Although the 500W (W1 series) is not the best unit EVGA has ever made, it should be more than sufficient for your current setup. The best part is that this unit can be had for about $35 in the USA.

Solution