i5 6400 BCLK overclocking Vcore Vid issue

MicGGGGG

Commendable
Dec 11, 2016
Hi guys, I have a question. I am doing BCLK overclocking, and I have set LLC to level 2 (AsRock motherboard), and Vcore 1.27v, it worked flawlessly. Then I reduced it to 1.23v, it still worked perfectly. Dropped it eventually to 1.20v, and it still has no issue, except reducing the heat a lot when doing Prime95 test.
I did this only because my VID is 1.06v. When I am overclocking 3770k, my Vcore is 1.25v VID is 1.22v. According to this, shouldn't I set my Vcore to 1.10v for 6400 BCLK oc? It does sound like a ridiculous Vcore for 6400 oc, so I want to hear from someone who has the experience.
Thanks in advance!

Solution
VID is the nominal voltage the CPU is requesting from the VRMs. I think it may only be relevant at stock clocks, but I'm not sure about that. Regardless, there is no fixed relationship between VID and Vcore that I know of.
It'd say it because of two main reasons.

a) the Skylake is more power efficient (Intel's aim for a few gens has been to reduce power consumption and improve thermal distribution as Moore's law grinds to a halt)

b) You're dealing with an i5. It is a less powerful chip and only has four logical cores so doesnt strain the system as much.

Your VID seems pretty normal, and all it shows is just how overclockable that chip is. It's basically a locked 6600k. What do you have the baseclock set to?

MicGGGGG

Commendable
Dec 11, 2016

I think Moore's Law lost its function a long time ago. I set my BCLK from 160 to 155, and increased my RAM from 2600-ish to 2800-ish. Actually I just met a bluescreen crash when opening Chrome tabs to check your reply, and now it has been adjusted to 1.175v Vcore. I will see if it works or not, but still, comparing to 3770k, this is such a breeze. With a deepcool maxx 300 cooler in my ITX built, prime95 v28.7 8k heat test is only 50c in standard mode, instead of performance mode fan settings.

I decided to jump to z170+6400 after reading some BCLK oc threads, and now I am so so happy about my decision. It has 4 cores with only 4 threads, but it performs 80% of stock 6700k. My 3770k @4.6GHz can only do 95% of stock 6700k, and both are fast enough.

I haven't seen anyone mentioning the Vcore-Vid so I created this thread as a reference. Thanks for replying and I think I have found (or will eventually find) the lowest Vcore for my 6400 oc @155 BCLK.

MicGGGGG

Commendable
Dec 11, 2016

When doing overclocking of 3770k, VID does vary when frequency changes. I am not quite sure if you are telling the truth, but you are definitely right about irrelevance between VCORE and VID, at least I think so.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
VID continues to change as you overclock? Hmm, good to know. In that case I would speculate that the CPU is setting the VID in such a way to try and get the Vcore that you set. So you set a 1.1 V Vcore, but the VRMs aren't perfect so the CPU can't just set a VID of 1.1 V. So it will set whatever VID it finds results in a voltage close to 1.1 V. Again, not sure about this, just an educated guess.

MicGGGGG

Commendable
Dec 11, 2016

What I mentioned was 3770k, so I change multiplier, not BCLK. The VID varies within 0.1v, not huge. So BCLK oc could be different. When doing 3770k oc, I found a complete guide for ASUS motherboard, and from that VID is the actual voltage the cpu uses, Vcore is the voltage your PSU supports cpu, thus the offset=Vcore-VID, and it could be negative depending on different cpus and frequencies. I am not an expert, that's why I am surprised to see 6400 at different frequencies uses the same VID. Again, it could be BCLK oc, but I think it worths to share so maybe some expert will jump out and solve this.

VID is the voltage the CPU requests. vCore is the voltage the motherboard (not PSU) provides. Line load calibration accounts for the vDroop when the CPU is put under load when using fixed voltgaes. There is a direct and immediate correlation between VID and vCore.

The lower the 12v supply the CPU needs, the lower the VID is. It's simple. Whether you OC via BLCK, FSB or multiplier makes no difference to the fact an overclocked chip requires a higher load. When the CPU (VID) exceeds the manually fixed voltage (vCore) the offsetted load line calibrates the voltage adaptively, much the same as Auto voltage, but with less freedom to overvolt as it wishes.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

The PSU provides a constant 12V to the VRMs on the motherboard. The VRMs then step it down to ~1 V to supply the CPU. That I know.

It's possible that it's different for BCLK OC. Also, non-k OC in particular is a little wonky, maybe that could have an impact as well.

Edit:

I definitely didn't mean to imply that Vcore and VID are unrelated. I just meant that I don't think there's a fixed relationship between the two, like Vcore=VID + x.