New RX 480, randomly get no signal on display until hard reset.

Evan Tanguma

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2013
Alright guys and gals, I'm stumped.

I recently purchased a new RX 480 to replace a GTX 660. Steps I took:

• Uninstalled GTX drivers and reset computer

Powered off and installed RX 480

Powered on and installed AMD drivers

Reset

Now, seemingly at random, my monitors will both shut off and get no signal until I do a hard reset. Sometimes I can still hear whatever it is I'm doing (watching videos, playing games, exc.) but I can't see until I reset the computer.

Things I've tried doing to remedy so far:

• Reseated all cables

Replaced all old SATA cables

Clean reinstall of Windows 10 (switched to an SSD recently without a clean install, so it was time)

Clean uninstall of AMD drivers

Clean reinstall of AMD drivers

The interesting part is, the installation of the driver almost immediately seems to cause the issue. The only way I can reliably recreate the problem is installing the driver, it seems. My monitors are sure to lose signal when doing that.

Anyhow, the only other straw to grasp at that I can think of is that I have other electronic equipment plugged into the same surge protector (synthesizer, sound mixer, speakers) and it may be *maybe* happens more frequently when I flip a switch on one of those. Maybe too much power through the outlets?

Reaching here, any advice?

System:

Dual AOC 12269Vw Monitors
AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor
XFX Radeon RX 480 8 gb
8gb DDR5 RAM
Windows 10
BIOS Date: 10/08/13 16:03:23 Ver: 04.06.05 Version: American Megatrends Inc. V2.6
1 system SSD, 3 HDDs
EVGA 600 Watt PSU UPC 843368034191

Solution
Are you sure it's not a freeze rather than 'losing signal'? When the signal is lost try pressing Ctrl Alt Del a few times. If it doesn't reset than it's frozen and it's not simply a lost signal. Because I am having a freezing problem the RX 480 but it only happens after a few minutes of playing a DirectX11 game. The screen goes blank and is definitely frozen because Ctrl Alt Del doesn't work and it needs a reset after that.
"The interesting part is, the installation of the driver almost immediately seems to cause the issue. The only way I can reliably recreate the problem is installing the driver, it seems. My monitors are sure to lose signal when doing that."

That's actually normal and expected, your OS is changing from its integrated controller to the new driver installed, it will always lose signal /go black for a few secs while installing its drivers.

Your issue sounds more like a loose connection in your monitor cable to your PC, more common than expected with HDMI cables, which cable are you using?

Evan Tanguma

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2013

I meant that it reliably kills the signal without it returning. Requires a hard reset. It isn't the typical cutting in/out.

As for the cable, I'm using an HDMI into monitor 2 and a DVI in monitor 1. Both are new cables, would losing connection in one monitor cause both to go out like that?

I see, try using only one monitor with DVI connection, see if the problem goes away.

Older drivers had this bug with multiple monitors, there's always the chance the latest drivers got it wrong again for certain GPU/monitor combinations.

Evan Tanguma

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2013

Alright, been a while since I last replied because I've been running the gauntlet testing this. I managed to find a couple things that make this happen without fail:

1. If the computer goes to sleep, monitors don't come back on.
2. If I accidentally bump the side of my case with my chair, monitors sometimes go off.

The annoying part is I swear nothing in my case is loose. I've probably reseated everything including case cables 3-4 times now with the CPU and motherboard itself being exceptions. CPU is tight and mobo... actually I'm not even sure how to check the mobo seating but it never had a problem in the past. I've also uninstall ALL extra drivers and reinstalled important ones. Also flashed my bios.

Truly and completely out of ideas. Maybe you're right, maybe it's the driver/monitor combo and I'll just have to wait for future releases.

extra_anchovy

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
Are you sure it's not a freeze rather than 'losing signal'? When the signal is lost try pressing Ctrl Alt Del a few times. If it doesn't reset than it's frozen and it's not simply a lost signal. Because I am having a freezing problem the RX 480 but it only happens after a few minutes of playing a DirectX11 game. The screen goes blank and is definitely frozen because Ctrl Alt Del doesn't work and it needs a reset after that.

Solution