RX 480 4gb or RX 480 8gb , 8 gb worth 100 $ price ?

sehra387

Commendable
Nov 18, 2016
hello guys , i'm in dilema which gpu to buy in my country where i live , hardware isnt cheap at all , but i see dramatic difference in prices betwen this two models , 8gb is arpox . 375 $ , 4 gb is 289 $ , so is 8gb model worth of extra almost 100 $ ? and do i need 8gb version because i' play games on 1920 x 1080 resolution so , will i have situation in future to need more Vram for future games ?

Solution
No, I would not say it's worth an extra $100. In the majority of games there will be negligible performance difference. There are a handful of games today, and presumably more in the future, that make use of >4GB of VRAM to run at max settings, but I think it would be better to just turn down a few settings in those games rather than shell out an extra $100.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
No, I would not say it's worth an extra $100. In the majority of games there will be negligible performance difference. There are a handful of games today, and presumably more in the future, that make use of >4GB of VRAM to run at max settings, but I think it would be better to just turn down a few settings in those games rather than shell out an extra $100.

Solution
It depends on how long you plan to have the card. There is no telling how much VRAM will be required in the future, but there are some that have been reported to use as much as 5gb already (Skyrim with tons of mods). The price is worth it if you plan to have the card for several years, however, if you plan to upgrade in a couple (1-2), then a 4gb should be plenty.

You might compare the 480 8gb price to a 1060 6gb and get the one that is cheaper.

sehra387

Commendable
Nov 18, 2016
rx 480 8gb and gtx 1060 6gb price are pretty much the same .. and btw my plan is to have this card paired with i76700k for maybe 4 years , im not guy who upgrade pc i just buy one pc and use it for 3, 4 years ... i definetly see that rx 480 4gb is better value for money ( in my case) ..

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Idk, I really don't think spending that much extra for 'future proofing' makes sense. If he saves himself almost $100 now, he could sell the RX 480 4GB in a year or two, and with that combined money get a more powerful card than the RX 480 8GB. By that time, if he were to instead try and sell the RX 480 8GB, I doubt he could get more than $20-$30 (if that) extra compared to the 4GB.

Seeing as how the prices are that inflated, I doubt things will get much better without some form of economic shift where the OP is. Unless that gap is irregular, it might just be the way things are there.

TRENDING THREADS