GT 640 -> GTX 1050 Ti: How much performance improvement?

I have a friend that plays and Twitch streams Overwatch. Due to the limited capability of her GT 640, she plays at 720p @ low graphics settings, which yields 35-50 FPS.

Question: (1) How much more powerful is the GTX 1050 Ti than the GT 640? 50% 100%? and (2) How many FPS can she achieve on Overwatch at 1080p @ ultra settings? I've watched performance reviews, but sometimes they are inaccurate or exaggerated. I'm seeking advice from people who have direct experience.

specs: i7-3770 / 8GB DDR3 / GT 640 / Corsair CX 430 / Gigabyte ga-b75m-d3h

FYI: She will be adding upgrading from 8 to 24 GB in the near future.

Solution

the 1050 ti wrecks overwatch at 1080p

at least ~80 fps at ultra

more ram will do nothing for actual fps, 8 is...
The 640 is not, and was not, a gaming card. You could use one for gaming I suppose, but the 650 Ti is where gaming started in the GTX 6xx series. The 1050 and 1050 Ti are both actual gaming cards. The difference will be huge and she'll be able to game at 1080p. With those specs, the only limitation is the videocard she chooses. If possible, a small extra cost of an RX 470 would be ideal.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

the 1050 ti wrecks overwatch at 1080p

at least ~80 fps at ultra

more ram will do nothing for actual fps, 8 is enough 16 is optimal

Solution

Decends

Respectable
Jul 3, 2016
She should upgrade that PSU to a good one though. Corsair's CX series are not known for longevity or quality. (And im pretty sure its probably the black and green CX instead of the black and silver CXM which is even worse if im correct.)

+Deniedstingray Thank you for locating the benchmark result. I've always wanted to do my own personal benchmarking to confirm some of the results I've seen on this site.

+Supahos Good to know. And I had forgotten that the RX 470 offers better performance for slightly more money. Thanks for the reminder.

+Decends Thanks. That is another site that has results that I plan to one day compare to my own future benchmarks. You are correct, it's the black and green colored CX. Funny that you mention this because I do plan on pushing her to upgrade to either a Seasonic S12II 520 watt or EVGA G2/G3 550; depending on the sale prices on NewEgg.

+dontlistentome Interesting that it was never intended for gaming. Your description reminds me of the starter Nvidia NVS 310 and 510 GPUs that I find in Dell business workstations. I'm now curious what prompted her to purchase this card in the first place.

+maxalge Thank you for the specificity of your answer. I also agree about the RAM. The OS, game and OBS push her memory consumption beyond the limit of her physical RAM. The resulting swapping causes her CPU's encoding to take a performance hit. The purpose of the RAM is to alleviate this condition.

Thank you all. Even though I've selected an answer, I welcome any new input, as this is how I continue to learn.