FX-6300 Bottlenecking New GTX 970?

thewizard174

Reputable
Jun 9, 2014
Just got a GTX 970 and I am not sure about my 3D Mark score.... it says that it is valid but after looking at people with my same set up, my score is extremely low. After playing several MMO's such as GW2, BDO, and Tera, I would sometimes drop down to 30ish from 50-60ish FPS when looking at intense areas. I feel like I shouldn't be getting this low....

any help on why this is and what i can do to would be great.

score: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/17474773?

Solution
To answer your question, the 6300 is realitivly weak for most of today's A grade titles. The way I see it you have 3 options that I will list from most expensive to least expensive.

1. Buy Intel or wait for ryzen

2. Buy an 8350. The IPC is about the same I think at least, maybe a little bit higher but the extra 2 cores might help in programs that actually use 8 cores.
3. Overclock. That is... If you have a sufficient cooler.

You asked a question, and this is my honest to god answer.
And at what screen resolution are you set to for windows desktop and set in 3D mark and games 1080p ?

It helps to mention what graphics card before the New GTX 970 card was running in the system.
If it was another model of Nvidia card but older, or that you changed to Nvidia from a ATI based graphics card.

One of the the first things you should do be it one or the other is to remove all of the video drivers for the old card while it is still in your system.

But also remove any windows registry entries also relating to the older graphics card Wizard.

If you did not do this in any way.

Use DDU to uninstall any old video drivers, run it and set it to clean and remove any Nvidia video drivers and windows registry entries.

Then run it again to remove any old ATI video drivers.
Download DDU from the link bellow and install it, then run it on your system.

Once you have told it to clean any old existing Nvidia and Ati video drivers.
Do another restart of your system.

Then go to.

http://www.geforce.com/

download and install the latest driver for you 970 card and install it.
restart the system again.

And then test to see if the card performs much better in 3D mark, or the games you play.

You should see an improvement in the frame rate results Wizard I promise you !.

Cole_9

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
To answer your question, the 6300 is realitivly weak for most of today's A grade titles. The way I see it you have 3 options that I will list from most expensive to least expensive.

1. Buy Intel or wait for ryzen

2. Buy an 8350. The IPC is about the same I think at least, maybe a little bit higher but the extra 2 cores might help in programs that actually use 8 cores.
3. Overclock. That is... If you have a sufficient cooler.

You asked a question, and this is my honest to god answer.

Solution

jmanusa6

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
Are you compairing to other people running a 970 with a fx 6300? A 970 will have a low overall 3d mark score with a fx6300. The fx6300 is ok but you deffinatly wont get the most out of your 970 with it and upgrading to an fx 8 core wont help much either. Stand by for now and upgrade to Ryzen when ya can.

stantheman123

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
i had a 6300 paried with a 7970 in battlefield 3 multiplayer my gpu would max around 75% i had to OC the cpu too get the gpu too use 100% in that game so i had a 15% bottleneck I'm certain your bottlenecked considering the 970 is even faster than the 7970 i had you could try overclocking it? that worked for me at the time

thewizard174

Reputable
Jun 9, 2014

yes and they all had scores that were at least 3000 higher than mine.

thewizard174

Reputable
Jun 9, 2014

I will probably overclock after I make sure my setup allows me too, and buy Zen since people keep telling me to buy it. When is it going to come out and what will the price most likely be?

thewizard174

Reputable
Jun 9, 2014

only got a 6 point increase to 3209... will probably just look into buying a new mobo/cpu

Cole_9

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016

They are saying within the first quarter of this year and unfortunately i don't know the prices right off the top of my head but I'm almost certain they will cary a price premium at first. do some research.