i3-6100 for programming?

Jan 20, 2017
Ive only just started programming and while its basic i would like to improve, i am building a new pc for gaming and programming, and will upgrade my cpu next year. My main question is can the i3-6100 work for the most basic level of languages such as c++, javascript, and C#?

Solution
Programming hardware requirements are low, while editing nothing more than text editing. Most demanding requirement is when compiling but again not much. i3-6100 will work fine. It is when you run your programs that the requirement might go up.
Programming hardware requirements are low, while editing nothing more than text editing. Most demanding requirement is when compiling but again not much. i3-6100 will work fine. It is when you run your programs that the requirement might go up.

Solution
Any modern CPU will work. However, the i3 6100 has been replaced now that the 7xxx generation is out. The Pentium G4560 is basically the same CPU only at $65, and the i3 7100 costs the same as the 6100 but is faster.

These would need to be paired with a 2xx chipset, such as B250.

Jan_26

Commendable
Jun 30, 2016

For the first year it is more than enough. When you start working on big projects with lots of unit tests, aim for i7 + SSD, it saves hours and hours then. But for the basics and small projects you'll go through first year it's more than capable.