i7 6700HQ CPU reaching 100 degrees during moderate gaming

Nosepicker

Reputable
Apr 18, 2016
I've got the 2016 Razer Blade (970M) and I'm regularly reaching 100 degrees while playing games in relatively normal settings, such as 1440p on medium/high details. (CPU: Intel i7 6700HQ) HWMonitor will show it's reached about 100 degrees, though whenever I alt-tab out it shows maybe ~90 degrees. However, the key is that I never experience lag or performance drop. Runs smooth as a dream ~70FPS in games like Overwatch and Battlefield.

I've spoken to Razer, Intel, and of course consulted the entirety of the internet, and heard widely varying things...

Intel: "Our laptop processors are designed to throttle themselves under extreme stress. If you're experiencing performance drops, chances are you're reaching the threshold, and should alter your usage to reduce temperatures."

Razer: "The aluminum chassis is designed to dissipate heat as efficiently as possible. If you're experiencing performance drops while gaming, you should reduce your settings and see if temperatures improve. Otherwise, our laptops are designed to withstand intense gaming loads."

The internet: Varies, anything from "Anything above 80 degrees will result in instant death of a loved one," to "laptops run hotter than desktops and 100 degrees is the tip top maximum I would be comfortable with."

I'm worried that if I continue like this, the life of my machine will be reduced. Any tips? Insights? Personal experiences with this specific laptop? Should I RMA and try a new unit?

*Edit: CPU Stats

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
https://ark.intel.com/products/88967/Intel-Core-i7-6700HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz

You have the i7-6700HQ in a Blade 2016, not the desktop 6700. The HQ hash a tJunction of 100'C.

Laptops do (generally) run warmer than desktops, hence the higher tJunction.

I would ensure the readings you're seeing from HWMonitor is correct by double-checking with other monitoring software (like MSI Afterburner) and see what it reports.

If it's accurate, and Razer don't consider it a problem, you could return it for your money back - or you could just run with it.

A laptop cooling pad may help a little.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Many laptops can be greatly improved by opening them up and replacing the thermal compound. Application at the factory is often overdone (or not done well enough). As long as you are willing to risk voiding the warranty. Though my understanding is that manufacturers in the US have to honor their warranty regardless of 'Warranty void if removed" stickers.

Since it isn't actually crashing or anything I doubt they will offer a replacement.

Nosepicker

Reputable
Apr 18, 2016
I use a HAVIT cooling pad and that maybe helps by 5 degrees on average, but nothing more. I have also used Afterburner as well as Intel's proprietary software, they all deliver similar results. The "max" temp reached always caps at 100, never more. But I would say the average gaming temp is 90-100.

As for the warranty, I've got a warranty until June. I bought mine in the US (I'm an American studying abroad) and the next time I can get it to the USA is in April, so I would have to decide by then to send it back. Thing is, it would be given to my parents when they visit, and I'd have to go 2 months without it until I come back myself for the summer (shipping computers internationally is incredibly expensive).

I was thinking that maybe I continue on until then, send it back in April, and get a new one. If the problem still persists, I'll replace the thermal compound once my warranty is up.