0.087 Ghz gain. Worth it or not ? (old motherboard and cpu)

Solution
87 Mhz are simply not worth bothering with in your case. Even 200-300 MHz would be almost meaningless. Once you get to 500+ MHz increase, it is usually worth it if you get the CPU to be stable. Still, since it is a Core 2 Duo, you are mostly bottlenecked by a number of cores, not so much by their frequency. A Core 2 Quad would be a substantial improvement. They can be found for quite cheap these days. Consider that ;)
When your doing this are you adding a bit more voltage to the Vcore of the E8400 cpu you are using ?

I mean the more you try to overclock a cpu past it`s factory default clock speed the more the Vcore voltage has to be increased to keep the cpu stable when overclocking it.

Or you will get very little overclock before the cpu and your system fails to boot.

Please state the default factory clock speed of the E8400 cpu.
And stock voltage.

And also the overclocked frequency, and what the vcore voltage is when overclocked.

nisemono

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

I know it's negligible, that's why I'm even asking in the 1st place, whether or not it's worth tampering with the default setting for so little ? (my CPU fan can handle it)

nisemono

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

I have set the maximum to 1.3v though I think it would work even with auto.

Edit:
3ghz default (333x9)
Voltage - Hardware Monitor shows that default is 1.07v min to 1.26v max
and when overclocked it was 1.12v min to 1.28v max.
I do not remember it's original voltage specifications since I've long lost the box but Intel says 0.8500V-1.3625V

Hum, it could be as simple as being down to your motherboard.
Have you dropped the Frequency the memory is running at to lower than 666Mhz per Channel to see if it`s not because you have pushed the memory to far, since your using the FSB to overclock ?

Try a base setting of 533Mhz for the memory.

87 Mhz are simply not worth bothering with in your case. Even 200-300 MHz would be almost meaningless. Once you get to 500+ MHz increase, it is usually worth it if you get the CPU to be stable. Still, since it is a Core 2 Duo, you are mostly bottlenecked by a number of cores, not so much by their frequency. A Core 2 Quad would be a substantial improvement. They can be found for quite cheap these days. Consider that ;)

Solution

nisemono

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

I think the motherboard is the issue since it's already running the memory at 533 default instead of 666. Either way from what I've read here and on other places I think I'm not even going to bother.

Thanks to all of you for your answers and help.