Which 480 should i buy?

Tommynew

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2013
I know there is a lot of people asking the same, but i need to chose one according to the different prices in my country.
These are my options:
shappire 4gb nitro+ -> 220€
shappire 8gb nitro+ OC -> 260€
xfx rs 8gb -> 245 €
msi 8gb gaming x -> 270€

Acorrding to what i´ve been reading, the xfx and the msi are better than the shappire.
The xfx is the rs model, not the gtr, so i don´t know if is as good as the msi.
But the msi as you can see is 25 € more expensive.

I don´t know.

Thank you.

Solution
Although i do agree that the MSI would be the better one to get, I have to point out that a lot of people are claiming he had a card with thermal issues in this video as they have done the same tests and received much lower temps from the XFX.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
the differences between all those models are always the same, one doesn't as hot as the other, one uses less watts under loads or idle than the other, one doesn't make as much as noise than the other

i personally always buy sapphire, but they don't make the most silent cards around, so if noise is a concern to you, sapphire should be second on that list, perhaps msi, but i haven't seen any reviews about the msi 8gbs to put it at first on that list

xfx, well, the used to make only nvidia, so i don't buy from them anything

my personal opinion, i would get the sapphire 4gbs model

8 gbs of vram, not much games uses all that ram yet, perhaps in the future, but in the future, surely you will get another gpu when those 8 gbs are necesary

The MSI has the best cooling system. The tightly packed fan blades should provide a higher static pressure. MSI Afterburner is also the premier GPU overclocking utility. So, if you are interested in overclocking the MSI will be easiest and on average achieve higher clocks.

As far as customer feedback is concerned. Each achieves the same 4 out of 5 Eggs on Newegg.com. If you are just going to plug in and play with no intention of overclocking and no concern over small noise differences. Get the XFX.

The 8GB Sapphire Nitro+ OC is just as good as the XFX. With a slightly higher build quality on the cooling components and a superior overclocking utility. It is priced appropriately between the two. If build quality of the cooling components and OC utility is important to you. I would step up to the MSI.

As for the 4GB Sapphire Nitro. It does not belong on the list. It is a lower end card. It will never be as good as the others. The question for that is should you buy a 4GB Rx 480 or spend extra on an 8GB Rx 480. In general, I'd say spend the extra money. If spending the extra money is a financial hardship. I'd advise evaluating your priorities. As spending 220€ on a video card when 245€ is a hardship. Means you should save all the money for something you actually need not want.

SammChisnall

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2012

Yes the MSI's cooler outperforms the other cards you mentioned by leaps when it comes to temps and noise.

Tommynew

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2013

Is there any review out there that compares both?

Susquehannock

Honorable
Had same decision about two months ago. After exhaustive research, determined that ASUS strix and MSI gaming X were my two top choices. Found a good deal on the MSI gaming X and have been very happy with it. Flawless so far. And even with the case side panel off the fans are pretty quiet at 100% speed.

SammChisnall

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2012

I can't find any from legitimate sources sadly. GPU Boss gives them the exact same scores in everything which is wrong, just take peoples experiences into account. Like for example i have MSI 290x Lightnings and they are absolutely flawless cards, @Susquehannock has gave his opinion on the MSI 480 as does @velocityg4.

If you are still unsure maybe start a new thread asking for peoples opinions between just the XFX & MSI.

Tommynew

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2013

I have to say i´ve already read about this somewhere, but can remember where.
It said the xfx rs is still a little noisy and hot compared to the msi.

And what do you think about the msi vs xfx gtr?
I found the gtr for 175-280 €.
But i´m leaning toward the msi at the moment.

Thank you :)

Edit:
Well i found something interesting.
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LDtj8vEvS8"][/video]
The msi seems to be quieter and cooler.

SammChisnall

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2012
Although i do agree that the MSI would be the better one to get, I have to point out that a lot of people are claiming he had a card with thermal issues in this video as they have done the same tests and received much lower temps from the XFX.

Solution

Tommynew

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2013

Well i´ve just received the msi one!
Thank you for your help :)