Rx 480 fans spin at boot but not while gaming

Francesco_7

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
Hello, I was playing a game with my rx 480 crossfire game, and everything worked. I switched game and suddenly fans stopped spinning, increasing gpu temperature too much. I tried to reboot and fans spinning and stop when idle., I tried to make fan spin with trixx software and it says that fans are not working properly, on both cards. I switched cards and I put second one as main, this one works and it turns in by itself while gaming but same error with trixx. The other one spin while I boot up but not while I game, even if I don't have games that uses too much gpu power for crossfire. Any idea to see if works? It is broken? (the first card I mean) I updated drivers recently too, tried to downgrade, same result

Francesco_7

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
My rig :

Evga 850w supernova 80 gold
I7 6700k 4.5ghz
8gb Hyperx ddr4 2666
2x sapphire Rx 480 nitro 8gb crossfire
MSI z170a m5 motherboard
Ssd 850 evo Samsung 250gb
HD wd 500gb
Enermax liqmax 2 120
Corsair quiet edition x 4 led fan
Case nxzt s340

Thanks

Francesco_7

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
*update * I'm running with the main card, the other is outside the pc. It is working good, starting with fan while I play way less louder then before.. Maybe new drivers did this?

While the card is in the slot it is still getting power even though the 6/8-pin power cable is not attached. It get about 75 watts of power through the slot so when you are not testing it, take it out. Unplug your PC before you take it out.

Francesco_7

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
I tested both cards separately, they work. I tested by switching the cards too in crossfire, they now work and start spinning only when in need during game. I've deleted trixx and all tuning software like after burner by msi. Uninstalled drivers with ddu and cleaned everything with cc cleaner. Re installed drivers and now is working. I'm not tried with watman or other tuning utilities to speed up fans, as long as they work I'm fine, maybe new drivers are not fully compatible with such utilities yet. So I think problem is solved, thanks for supporting!

TRENDING THREADS