i3 2120 upgrade to Pentium g4560 worth?

Solution
You probably wouldn't see any noticeable difference. The clock speed is the same, though the architecture is better, so it should be somewhat better. But for the money you would spend on upgrading RAM and motherboard too, you may be better off finding an i7 or i5 for the 1155.

How much RAM does your system currently have? And are you sure it's a CPU bottleneck? (could be a heat issue, or GPU issue, not enough RAM, etc.) Run HWMonitor, and maybe prime95 to see if your CPU is throttling from heat. Also may want to run task manager while running the game, to see your CPU usage over a short amount of time (should show all 4 threads, and if its bottlenecked, then all 4 threads should be 100% all the time). Just a couple ideas.

Did you...

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
the pentium has 2 cores, 2 real cores and then 4 threads, those cores are not that strong or run as fast as those 2 cores on the i3 but they run a bit faster

the problem is not if it improves or not your experience

the problem is that your cpu is socket lga 1155, the pentium you mention is lga 1151, it will not work in that older socket

that cpu is not your upgrade path, you need to search for a i5 socket 1155

that or buy new mainboard, cpu and probably ram, the pentium iirc requires ddr4, your current cpu and mainboard uses ddr3 probably, if not ddr2

nddz

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2013

i know i will try to sell my CPU RAM and MB to get new others but is it worth it ? cause i can't even play dota 2 with this lowly I3 i currently have im getting huge frame drops it's unplayable.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
it is practically the same experience if not a bit slower

i3 has a performance in his price range, the pentium is almost as slow as a celeron if not the same, which is the bottom of their offerings, slow and expensive

i would save for a i5 or wait for ryzen cpus to see how prices change or perhaps jump to amd altogether

in the meantime, you could set a bit lower the resolution and graphical settings, what is the rest of your specs, you only told us about cpu you have

spadam_2000

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
You probably wouldn't see any noticeable difference. The clock speed is the same, though the architecture is better, so it should be somewhat better. But for the money you would spend on upgrading RAM and motherboard too, you may be better off finding an i7 or i5 for the 1155.

How much RAM does your system currently have? And are you sure it's a CPU bottleneck? (could be a heat issue, or GPU issue, not enough RAM, etc.) Run HWMonitor, and maybe prime95 to see if your CPU is throttling from heat. Also may want to run task manager while running the game, to see your CPU usage over a short amount of time (should show all 4 threads, and if its bottlenecked, then all 4 threads should be 100% all the time). Just a couple ideas.

Did you ever have good framerates?. You may consider wiping your system clean and reinstalling Windows to see if that would improve performance. (backing up your important data first, of course). At least you could find out if that helps, the free way.

Either way, if you can find a buyer for your hardware to help offset some of the cost, I would upgrade to an LGA 1151 platform with at least an i5 (so you can have 4 physical cores, rather than just two with a Pentium or i3). But if you absolutely can't afford anything but the Pentium, it would at least give you an upgrade path in the future, and *very* slightly better performance.

Solution

Do you really find $115.00 too much for the new i3 7100?

Considering it's only $15 more than the i3 6100 I find it reasonable for the performance you get out of it.

nzalog

Respectable
BANNED
Jan 2, 2017

Yeah I didn't understand that either...

Definitely would not upgrade to a new platform and a lower model CPU. You'd probably end up with either no performance gain or maybe even performance loss with lots of effort.

If going to put the time in to moving to Kaby lake, at a minimum do a like for like (i3 to new i3).

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
for some reason, i kept thinking on this i3

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-BX80677I37350K-Core-Desktop-Processors/dp/B01NCEJN24/ref=sr_1_8?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1485469085&sr=1-8&keywords=i3+7100

don't know why i kept that price in my mind, you are right

still, it is a 2 cores cpu with 4 threads that doesn't work as expected on most apps and programs, real cores do make the difference

still, 115 dollars for 2 cores, well, is hard to accept, it makes suddenly interesting any fm2 platform cpu, even knowing that ryzen is 1 month away more or less

This is incorrect. The cores in the Skylake/Kaby Lake Pentium are equally fast per clock as a Skylake or Kaby Like i3. The main difference between the two has been that Pentiums don't have hyperthreading... or didn't, until now. Pentiums still don't support AVX instructions, but that only makes a difference in workloads that use these instructions.

So, moving from a 2nd gen i3 to a 6th/7th gen Pentium with HT would be analogous to moving from a 2nd gen i5 to a 6th/7yh gen i5 - OP would gain about 25-30% more performance per clock, and clockspeed would be slightly higher.

I agree with this though. It would probably be more cost effective to find a Core i5 or i7 that fits your existing motherboard. I would recommend an i5 3570 or i7 3770. They tend to run about $80 and $150 respectively on eBay.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
i mostly compare both desktop and laptops, i3 on desktop is a thing and another in latops, pentium is one thing on laptops too, on desktops, well, it is the next step after a celeron, which is close to nothing, in fact, pentium comes to replace celeron on desktops more or less now with these new pentiums with the threads

on laptops, there is still plenty of those celerons that run slower than some atoms

differences in cache, fsb, gpu, ram accompanying it in it, well, probably i'm victim of the perception of what it is and what i think it is

so i'm right and wrong at the same time, mostly wrong, but right :D

about a i7 at 150, well, that would require a proper cooling solution right? a cooler master evo 212 or something similar sounds adequate

The i3 2120 is a 65w CPU and comes with an all-aluminum heatsink. The i7 3770 is a 77w CPU and comes with a cooler with a copper core. It may actually be alright under the i3's cooler but I'd like to stress "may". My recommendation for a cheap heatsink is the $20 Cryorig M9i, which performs just as well as the more expensive Hyper212.

DrSpooks

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017

This is kind of funny, I was in the exact same situation as you with specs. I had a 2012 lenovo desktop with a 1050 and i3-2120 in it and when I upgraded to the pentium (which I had to by new ram and new motherboard) I saw very big changes. Yes it is worth it and I recomend getting a h270 or z270 mobo depending of if you plan to upgrade.

nddz

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2013

what if i get B250 motherboard coz im on atight budget and thanks for telling the performance difference

yashveerthakur17

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
I personally had a g4560 along with a 1050ti which game me an average FPS of 180 with 1080p ultra and AA off. Never played dota 2 but I always got 60fps+ at GTA 5 1080p with somewhat medium settings, take this as reference. TBH upgrading from an i3-2120 to G4560 would me a wise upgrade, BUT!!, you must have known that your i3 has socket lga 1155 but Pentium is lga1151 therefore not compatible .Buying a new mobo and RAM will leave a big hole in your pocket. I highly recommend buying an i5-2400 or 2500k( overclockable yay!). these have 4 real cores which are a must-have nowadays , games like PUBG have recommend a six core, you got my point, 2 cores(even with hyperthreaing) wont be future proof neither is an i5 2500k but they cost around 50$ which will give a solid boost in rendering videos and gaming. Save the spare money and upgrade to a ryzen 5 or a newer i5 (R5>i5, personally).