Solved

Advice on a £200 mobo/cpu upgrade (AMD or Intel)

I'm looking at upgrading my CPU (which will almost certainly mean upgrading my mother board as well.)

Presently it's an AMD Phenom II x4 965BE which generally does pretty well at gaming, but less well at video rendering/encoding (with Adobe Premiere Pro/ Adobe Media Encoder) which is something that I do require it for. (The Mobo is a ASRock N68C-S UCC.)

The main option for upgrade without changing the mobo is getting the Phenom II x6 1090t (£85) and it isn't too much more then to just get a new mobo with an FX-6300 (which would do better performance wise.)

Ideally I'd like to spend under £200 for the CPU and mother board (I can get a mobo and FX-8350 for just under that (octacore, 4ghz, 8mb cache.)
Also I'd like to keep most of my current components (8gb DDR-3 RAM, GTX-960, Coolermaster hyper 212 evo, 600 watt PSU. WD Blue 1tb HDD and Samsung 500gb HDD)


The Intel equivalent performance wise looks like the i7-4770k (which is nearly £300 not including a mobo.) Or higher spec'd i5 processors.

I'm happy with either Intel or AMD but was wondering what people could suggest that delivers the best performance vs cost ratio?
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about advice 200 mobo cpu upgrade amd intel
  1. abba2566 said:
    I'm looking at upgrading my CPU (which will almost certainly mean upgrading my mother board as well.)

    Presently it's an AMD Phenom II x4 965BE which generally does pretty well at gaming, but less well at video rendering/encoding (with Adobe Premiere Pro/ Adobe Media Encoder) which is something that I do require it for. (The Mobo is a ASRock N68C-S UCC.)

    The main option for upgrade without changing the mobo is getting the Phenom II x6 1090t (£85) and it isn't too much more then to just get a new mobo with an FX-6300 (which would do better performance wise.)

    Ideally I'd like to spend under £200 for the CPU and mother board (I can get a mobo and FX-8350 for just under that (octacore, 4ghz, 8mb cache.)
    Also I'd like to keep most of my current components (8gb DDR-3 RAM, GTX-960, Coolermaster hyper 212 evo) WD Blue 1tb and Samsung 500gb HDD)


    The Intel equivalent performance wise looks like the i7-4770k (which is nearly £300 not including a mobo.) Or higher spec'd i5 processors.

    I'm happy with either Intel or AMD but was wondering what people could suggest that delivers the best performance vs cost ratio?


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($75.00 @ B&H)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z270 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($119.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $194.99
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-28 10:01 EST-0500

    funny this cpu beats your fx8320 in every game+ upgrade possibility to an i5 or i7 .
  2. I believe with that suggestion abba2566 would need new RAM which would add to the overall cost.
  3. As I said, the upgrade is more for improved render/ encode speeds with video editing rather than gaming performance and as Obakasama said, it uses DDR-4 over DDR-3, so I'm looking at £50-80 on top of the mobo and CPU.

    I also said the FX-8350, which (according to CPU boss) is superior due to the higher cache, number of cores and potential overclock speeds. (The G4500 is better for single core usage, but the FX-8350 outshines it on the multi-core score.)

    superninja12 said:
    abba2566 said:
    I'm looking at upgrading my CPU (which will almost certainly mean upgrading my mother board as well.)

    Presently it's an AMD Phenom II x4 965BE which generally does pretty well at gaming, but less well at video rendering/encoding (with Adobe Premiere Pro/ Adobe Media Encoder) which is something that I do require it for. (The Mobo is a ASRock N68C-S UCC.)

    The main option for upgrade without changing the mobo is getting the Phenom II x6 1090t (£85) and it isn't too much more then to just get a new mobo with an FX-6300 (which would do better performance wise.)

    Ideally I'd like to spend under £200 for the CPU and mother board (I can get a mobo and FX-8350 for just under that (octacore, 4ghz, 8mb cache.)
    Also I'd like to keep most of my current components (8gb DDR-3 RAM, GTX-960, Coolermaster hyper 212 evo) WD Blue 1tb and Samsung 500gb HDD)


    The Intel equivalent performance wise looks like the i7-4770k (which is nearly £300 not including a mobo.) Or higher spec'd i5 processors.

    I'm happy with either Intel or AMD but was wondering what people could suggest that delivers the best performance vs cost ratio?


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($75.00 @ B&H)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z270 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($119.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $194.99
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-28 10:01 EST-0500

    funny this cpu beats your fx8320 in every game+ upgrade possibility to an i5 or i7 .
  4. Can't contribute much else...

    Came across this: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/364269-33-best-processor-video-editing-rendering

    In that thread an FX-8150 is suggested (though apparently unavailable according to PCPartPicker in Britain...). This motherboard may be worth considering? Also allows up to 64GB depending on your rendering needs.

    On an aside, a lot of forum users err on the side of caution with sites like CPU Boss due to the usage of synthetic benchmarks. Many favour real world testing. It may be worth seeing if there are benchmarks for the specific rendering software you use to get a more accurate reflection of performance.
  5. Thanks for taking a look, and for the warning on CPU Boss.

    Obakasama said:
    Can't contribute much else...

    Came across this: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/364269-33-best-processor-video-editing-rendering

    In that thread an FX-8150 is suggested (though apparently unavailable according to PCPartPicker in Britain...). This motherboard may be worth considering? Also allows up to 64GB depending on your rendering needs.

    On an aside, a lot of forum users err on the side of caution with sites like CPU Boss due to the usage of synthetic benchmarks. Many favour real world testing. It may be worth seeing if there are benchmarks for the specific rendering software you use to get a more accurate reflection of performance.
  6. When it comes to gaming, which CPU to buy sometimes depends on single core, dual core, quad or octo core performance. Modern games can leverage all the cores and old ones much fewer. But in rendering performance, there's no question about which may perform better. Buy yourself whichever has higher multithreaded performance.

    Intel is far better then AMD in single/quad threaded performance, but the FX series has multithreaded performance unmatched in value by even Kaby Lake CPUs. I'd recommend an FX 8320/8350/8370 and a decent motherboard so it can power it enough for much overclocking.

    Also, because these are older components, you can easily get yourself a bargain by buying used on ebay or similar sites.
  7. Thanks!
    So how does threading work? A lot of Intel processors seem to be 4 cores with 8 threads, how does that compare with 8 physical cores?

    Also, is it worth getting the 8370 over the 8350, from what I can tell there doesn't seem to be too much difference between them?

    Motherboard wise, I was looking at this one. Is that any good? If not, what are the best things to look out for?

    MatthewGB said:
    When it comes to gaming, which CPU to buy sometimes depends on single core, dual core, quad or octo core performance. Modern games can leverage all the cores and old ones much fewer. But in rendering performance, there's no question about which may perform better. Buy yourself whichever has higher multithreaded performance.

    Intel is far better then AMD in single/quad threaded performance, but the FX series has multithreaded performance unmatched in value by even Kaby Lake CPUs. I'd recommend an FX 8320/8350/8370 and a decent motherboard so it can power it enough for much overclocking.

    Also, because these are older components, you can easily get yourself a bargain by buying used on ebay or similar sites.
  8. Best answer
    The multicore performance is (InstructionsPerClock * ClockSpeed * NumberOfCore). Then if HyperThreading/SimultanousMultiThreading is enabled on the CPU, the performance improvment is approximately 30%.
    Instructions per clock has no real unit, but newer ones has more per clock, and older less. I'll take some benchmarks to demonstrate this: http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-FX-8350-vs-Intel-Core-i5-7600K/1489vs3885
    The FX 8350 has a MC Mixed performance of 490 pts.
    The i5-7600k has 506 pts.
    The FX 8350 has twice as many cores, so the newest intel core manages to do more then the old FX with half as many cores. Additionally, it does this with a lower clock rate, so it has a far higher IPC.
    Just to be clear, this is not a fair comparison; the FX is a cheap old chip, the i5 expensive new.

    So, the PointsPerGigahertz can be calculated by doing 506(MC pts)/4(Num of Cores)/3.8 which gives 33 pts per gigahertz. For example, if it were clocked at 3.8 ghz with 1 cores, it would score 125.4. The SingleCore score of the CPU on the site is 130, so that turned out to be a very accurate measurement.

    The PointsPerGigahertz for the 8350 is 490/8/4 = 15

    TLDR: Cores are never equal. Not even in the same generation, due to differences in clock speed.

    I suggest looking around for deals on the 8000 series and go for whichever is best value. 8320 should be around 100£, 8350 110£ and 8370 for 120£.

    Btw, are you in the UK? I'm actually selling an FX 8120 and AM3+ motherboard at the moment.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs