2017 help on quad core selection.

Kid_Killzilla

Commendable
Jan 29, 2017
So this is my issue. I do not plan to over clock but I want something decent in terms of an upgrade. I have about 250 dollars to spend. And I've been looking to buy some i5 system.
Currently I have and AMD 880k combined with an rx 480. I think that my current cpu isn't allowing the 480 to stretch its legs. I am not opposed to getting something other than a i5, I just look at the older generation Intel cpus and I can't figure out what mobo to get with it.

So the question is: can someone help me find a cpu and motherboard for 250 dollars that won't bottleneck my rx 480 8 gb...
Preferably the combo takes ddr3 8gb memory bc that's what I already own.

Thank you

Solution
If you want to keep your DDR3, about your only option in your price range without getting into used hardware would be to grab something like a Core i5 4460 and a cheap H81 or B85 motherboard. There are no better CPUs on your existing platform, AM3+ doesn't offer you much of an improvement for gaming, and the newer Skylake and Kaby Lake Intel CPUs really need to have DDR4 RAM (there are some DDR3 capable LGA1151 boards that work with Skylake chips, but there is a risk of damaging the CPU's memory controller over long term usage if you aren't using low voltage DDR3).
If you want to keep your DDR3, about your only option in your price range without getting into used hardware would be to grab something like a Core i5 4460 and a cheap H81 or B85 motherboard. There are no better CPUs on your existing platform, AM3+ doesn't offer you much of an improvement for gaming, and the newer Skylake and Kaby Lake Intel CPUs really need to have DDR4 RAM (there are some DDR3 capable LGA1151 boards that work with Skylake chips, but there is a risk of damaging the CPU's memory controller over long term usage if you aren't using low voltage DDR3).

Solution
At your budget. Buy a used CPU and motherboard combo for best performance. You should be able to get a Core i7-3770K and Z77 chipset combo (for overclocking). Plus buy a new Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo for overclocking. It will perform quite nicely for gaming especially when overclocked. Considerably better than a new low end i5 with a cheap new motherboard. At least on games where CPU performance and core count matters. You could also pick up a used i5-4670K or 4690K plus a Z87 or Z97 Motherboard combo and the mentioned heatsink for overclocking.

When overclocked to the same speed an i7-3770K, i5-4670K and i5-4690K should be similar. On heavily multithreaded CPU intensive titles. I would expect the i7-3770K to do slightly better due to hyperthreading. On titles which just use one to four threads. I would expect the 4670K/4690K to do slightly better.

One major difference to consider. If you get a motherboard with a Z97 chipset. There may be a BIOS update to allow NVMe for the ultra high performance NVMe SSD models. A Z77 chipset will not.

In more general terms. Motherboards with a 60 or 70 series Intel chipset work with the 2000 series and 3000 series Intel CPUs. The 60 series boards may require a BIOS update to work with the 3000 series CPU, so stick with the 70 series unless it is a working combo. Motherboards with the 80 series or 90 series chipset work with the 4000 series CPU. Depending on the CPU an 80 series board may need a BIOS update for some 4000 series models so it is best to stick with a 90 series chipset or combos. This generalization excludes X79 and X99 motherboards which only work with professional grade LGA 2011 i7 or Xeon CPUs.

Before you discount the idea of a six core i7. Although a little extra. You could likely pick up a Core i7-3930K and an X79 chipset motherboard for $300.

TRENDING THREADS