I7 6700 7700 or I5 6600 7600 (k) I'm confused

Gesia1

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017
Hello Community.
Now, I know theres a ton of threads like these but unfortunatly so far I am lacking a valid answer, as most of the answers are to technical for an "old" man like me that doesnt know much about cache and stuff.
So this will be a few questions, and a long text, but thank you in advance to anyone who takes time to answer this.

The basic situation is: I have updated my Old PC for a very long time, and since almost all parts are now aged, I figured I want to build one from scratch. The Upgrade will be rather big, as our current PC is a FX6300 with a AMD R270x i build a few years back, with some parts like the case and the CD still being from my youth.

I want to build (or buy if theres a nice complete offer) a solid, futurproof PC that will keep me and my family happy for a while. I dont have too much time to play games, but when I do I dont want to wait the whole day or get dissapointed because of stuttering or something, so I'm looking for something solid, that will keep us happy a few years.
Gamewise I tend to go rather CPU-Heavy games, like Paradoxtitles (EU4, HOI) or turnbased strategy (Total War).
Oh, and I think Overclocking or something like this is not for me, as I'm just not as technical and would be too afraid of breaking something ;)

My Thought was to buy a GTX 1070 and top it with an Intel CPU and 16 gig of ram (with a Mainboard that can handle 32 if that should become necessary), thinking that the GTX 1070 will be decent for quite a while and can be exchanged at some point in time if it ever becomes outdated and the CPU hopefully still lasts then, so I wanted to buy a nice CPU/Mainboard combo.

Now my first pick would have been the 7700k, as I understand that this is simply the best "normal" CPU right now, let alone the 7*-or-so as expensive special models.

Now this throws up a lot of questions and googling it for two days now unfortunatly only made it worse since everyone sais something else.

So my questions are:

1) What CPU would you get?
2) Is it worth getting a I7 over an I5 as a lot of the Sites I found say that this is not really "useful" speed unless you do things like Play and Record it (Which I wont) since the big difference is hyperthreading and this wont be an advantage in "everyday life".
3) Should I get a "standard" or this "k" form - from what I understand the "k" is for overclocking, which I dont want to do, but then the basetact of these processors tends to be way higher, which in my time was the number-1 sign of speed ;) (3.5 vs 4.2 would be a big jump!)
4) I saw that a lot of sites still offer PCs with the I7 6700 at reasonable prices. (In fact im looking at a decent offer right now, thats got everything I want+ this CPU) Now is this something I should consider? I know its the "old" one, since theres 7700, but then again I read the difference isnt too big, but its not a "k" and the "old" one - would I be futureproof with this?

Thanks to everyone thats willing to read all this :) Have a nice evening.

mungrymungry

Prominent
Mar 23, 2017
Honestly if you are a regular person and does not overclock then a i7 6700 from last gen would suit your purposes just fine. The main thing that sells it for me is the thread count, as then you can open as many windows and apps as the computer can support at one time (given your ram and cooling is stable enough). As I am a 6700k user myself I believe that the i7 lineup is good for most people, and that snubbing the top of the line series for the sake of cost is not worth it in the long run. If you have the money for a new system then spend the extra-it's worth the frame increase regardless. As for a GPU unless you are into 4k stuff I'd advise the 1070 as more than adequate, though sticking to Asus or a Gigabyte Extreme edition would be something better as cooling for the respective gpus are excellent, and longevity likewise.

Also I seriously recommend you getting the pc build custom, as the only thing you need quranteed is a good install of the OS and having enough software to have the system run like any other. Don't go for the prebuilts for goodness sake unless you have the cash to spare, which then you should spend having someone either online or in a shop to make up a list of parts for your build. Make sure to use premium stuff or you will never be satisfied with what you build for yourself:) All the best and I hope this post finds you in good health!