8320 vs 8350.overclocked

Dave_McG

Commendable
Apr 23, 2016
I have heard an fx8350 can be clocked to about 4.5ghz with hyper 212evo.Any idea what avg OC for FX8320 would be?

Solution
D
It makes no sense what so ever to buy AMD FX right now. Even at 4.5Ghz the FX 8xxx loses to a $120 i3 6100/7100 in almost all gaming situations. And that's with a $60 motherboard and no aftermarket cooling for the i3 making it significantly cheaper. If you just have to buy AMD wait for Ryzen.

http://www.techspot.com/review/1087-best-value-desktop-cpu/
Evos limit is about 4.3ghz really while still getting decent temps under load.
Past 4.2/4.3 also tends to be the point where you have to start pushing considerable voltage increases unless you have a very good CPU.

Overclocking is also very dependant on motherboard quality , you're not going to get good results on a cheap board.

Dave_McG

Commendable
Apr 23, 2016

The Asus is a a good board.

The only issue I have at the minute is that spending on a new amd build at this point in time is a bad idea.
With ryzen due to drop very soon the older chips are going to get a huge price decrease when they do.
You're buying into ddr3 ram & a non upgradeable chipset.

Unless you're near a micro centre & can get a great deal on a 8300+ board bundle an amd 8 core rig is not something I would build at this point in time.

For a very similar price you'd get a locked skylake i5 CPU & board with at least that kind of performance out of the box.

ShadyHamster

Distinguished
It will depend on the silicon lottery too, you may get an 8350 that won't OC very far or you could get an 8320 that will easily hit 5ghz.
I used to have an 8320 that would run at 4.8ghz but i wasn't happy with the temps, i settled with 4.5ghz, that's with a Noctua NH-D14 cooler too.
My motherboard was the Asus Sabertooth 990fx.

D

Deleted member 217926

It makes no sense what so ever to buy AMD FX right now. Even at 4.5Ghz the FX 8xxx loses to a $120 i3 6100/7100 in almost all gaming situations. And that's with a $60 motherboard and no aftermarket cooling for the i3 making it significantly cheaper. If you just have to buy AMD wait for Ryzen.

http://www.techspot.com/review/1087-best-value-desktop-cpu/

Solution

ShadyHamster

Distinguished

Depending on the graphics card you get even the Pentium G4560 will give the FX CPU a run for it's money.

Hi dave I have a Asus m5a99fx pro r2.0 motherboard here.

The cpu is cooled by a corsair H60 Aio water loop.

With a FX 8350 @ 1.48v core running at 4.7Ghz.

The board for the price is really stable, and has good overclocking features.
If you want to get past the 4.5Ghz overclock then you will need at least a Aio water cooling loop as said.

Most FX cpu`s on air will get to 4.5Ghz and be stable, where as with some it may involve having to add a little bit more voltage manually in the bios settings of the motherboard to get the FX 8350 cpu stable when faced with cpu stress testing with prime 95.

To be honest though, your better off holding of till Ryzen cpu`s are released by amd in the next two to three weeks.
And buying a AM4 motherboard and DDR 4 memory.

Unconvinced by the pentium myself , in some instances it loses massively to an i3 6100 for some reason.
Factor in the fact you save $30-40 on the CPU but have to pay $30-40 more for a newer board that is guaranteed to run it out of the box & you're the same pricepoint as a 6100+ cheap h110 board.

As stated before the only way is consider an am3+ build at the minute is if you need that multi threading strength for rendering, video encodes , virtual machine use etc.
& even then I'd only even consider it if you could get one of the micro centre bundle deals for an 8320e+ a decent asrock or gigabyte board for $130.

Bem-xxx

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015

You can play at 4K with a FX 8xxx and have better multitasking capabilities. Can you do the same with an i3?

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMrgepXW7MI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMrgepXW7MI[/video]

D

Deleted member 217926

A random youtube video with some very cherry picked benchmarks is meaningless. That video picks the one or two benchmarks that AMD wins out of several dozen where they lose and puts them all together so it looks impressive. Just the fact that it implies that the 9590 is anything more than the worst CPU ever built shows you how seriously to take it.

And an FX 8xxx or 9xxx anything bottlenecks a GTX 1070 even when overclocked.