300 MBPS Router

RJ Tagayon

Reputable
Jun 25, 2015
We've recently just got a 300MBPS fiber connection in our office. Problem is it has only one LAN port is usable for connectivity, we've bought a router that says it can handle up to 300MBPS speed but when I plugged our PC, to that router (router connected to original modem) the speed I'm getting is only around 90MBPS.

What router can you recommend me to buy that can handle 300MBPS through its lan ports.

Solution

You are right I tried it and when I try to cancel the downvote says" You already voted on this solution". That's not cool, but I don't care much...

They show no real specs, just marketing crap, so to me 300Mbps is not such a big challenge, It should be fine with just NAT, but there is no guarantee without the specs.
It sounds like you have an old router with a Fast Ethernet WAN port (Internet speed limited to 100 Mbps). To support 300 Mbps you need to get a router with a Gigabit Ethernet WAN port. The WAN port speed does not always match the LAN port speed. So it's possible to get a Gigabit router whose LAN ports are Gigabit, but whose WAN port is only 100 Mbps.

Unfortunately, this isn't something that is commonly advertised on the box. You will have to search reviews to make sure before buying the router. The closest I could dig up was this:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/bar/179-wan-to-lan-tcp/31

There used to be another site with a list in a nice chart, but I can't seem to find it.

RJ Tagayon

Reputable
Jun 25, 2015

Hi!

Thanks for your opinion. Do you think this router can handle it?

https://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC56U/

Thanks!

s-h-a-w-n

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
Even if a router has 1Gpbs interfaces, it does not mean it will process 1Gbps, it depends on the content and services activated (NAT, packet filtering, lots of states and connections).
True consumer grade gigabit passtrough can be expansive. I personally overkill and use pfsense on an old computer.

RJ Tagayon

Reputable
Jun 25, 2015

Sorry I didn't mean to downvote, I misclicked on my mobile device.

I understand your point but it doesn't matter to me if it doesn't reach 1GBPS through its lan port, I just want to max out our 300mbps connection through a router so I thought a 1gbps router can reach our internet speed once the modem is connected to it. So do you think this asus one can do the job?

s-h-a-w-n

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012

You are right I tried it and when I try to cancel the downvote says" You already voted on this solution". That's not cool, but I don't care much...

They show no real specs, just marketing crap, so to me 300Mbps is not such a big challenge, It should be fine with just NAT, but there is no guarantee without the specs.

Solution