RX 480 low performance

adixon816

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
I just upgraded from an r9 280 to an RX 480 and am having low FPS issues - this is my current hardware:

Intel i5-4460
ASRock H81M-HDS mother board
SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 480 100406NT+8GOCL 8GB
EVGA Bronze 500W PSU
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1600
256 GB Samsung SSD

I'm getting low FPS in WoW with anything other than high settings and jumping FPS in CS:Go.
In WoW @ 1080p if I turn on ultra settings I'm getting roughly 30-40fps and it's recommending level 5 of 10 and my 280 used to recommend 7. If I turn it down to level 7 I get similar stats to my 280. I have already adjusted the WattMan settings with some guides online so I'm getting steady 1342 mhz from the card. In CS:Go my fps is jumping around from 130-240. I'm not sure if maybe this is a processor limitation issue or what but so far for what the card cost I'm not seeing any improvement. I just ordered a 144hz freesync monitor as well but I want to get the most out of the card that I can. I will only be playing at 1080p. Any advice is appreciated.

Solution
Download MSI afterburner:
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/msi-afterburner-beta-download.html
and monitor your CPU and GPU usage. If you're seeing the GPU being used much less than your CPU then the system is CPU bottlenecked. Ofc I must ask, what sort of numbers were you looking for? If esports games is what you were on, you'd have been fine with the existing GPU or the RX460.

Like the above, you shouldn't be CPU bottlenecked for the titles you play.
I would not say it is a CPU limit, your CPU is very good. Can you monitor the usage of both CPU and GPU while gaming? Do the same for temperatures while you are at it.

One dumb question, but I have to ask: did you install drivers for the card? And the motherboard? If so, did you use DDU to uninstall all previous drivers (to clean all remains of them) beforehand?

adixon816

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

I did not use DDU - I used the AMD uninstall utility from their website. Would this make a difference?

Lutfij

Titan
It's advised to use DDU ... the bundled uninstaller tends to take some things out and leave others. I've faced this issue on my APU system. DDU is the route to take. Mind you, your drivers and motherboard BIOS are all up to date?

adixon816

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

The CPU in both games seems to be hanging around 80% and pegging to 100% in certain instances which is why I was concerned, I did not use DDU as I have never heard of it before (first time upgrading the video card in this computer) I did install the latest crimson relive drivers though. The temperature of the GPU is about 50C but I did not monitor the CPU temperature.

adixon816

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

Thanks I will try the DDU and report back - the crimson relive drivers are the latest stable version - it may have been a while since my last BIOS update so I will check that out. Thanks.

adixon816

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

In the task manager I see 80% - 90% most of the time while these games are open 100% is when I get spike drops in the FPS.

adixon816

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

1-2% just sitting at the desktop. 30-40% when the application is open and while playing 80-92%. I uninstalled using the tool you recommended and reinstalled the drivers. Still getting between 120-170 fps on CS:Go with the settings auto selected. It just randomly jumps up and down - I thought the performance should be more for the card maybe I'm mistaken though.

Lutfij

Titan
Download MSI afterburner:
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/msi-afterburner-beta-download.html
and monitor your CPU and GPU usage. If you're seeing the GPU being used much less than your CPU then the system is CPU bottlenecked. Ofc I must ask, what sort of numbers were you looking for? If esports games is what you were on, you'd have been fine with the existing GPU or the RX460.

Like the above, you shouldn't be CPU bottlenecked for the titles you play.

Solution