1060 vs 1070 for future-proof

Deansy139

Reputable
Feb 3, 2017
I am a budget gamer. I have now managed to get a 6600k cheap and 16gb kit if ram and I am looking to really future-proof myself for a couple of years of no upgrading apart from adding small things like a new hard drive etc. Should I buy a GTX 1060 6gb for my birthday in April or wait until the summer / autman time and purchase a 1070 or see what price equivalent there is in a possible new card lineup. I don't want to get a 1060 because I feel it will eventually slow down in games and as I said I want to make no major upgrades for years but I am in dire need of an upgrade as my trusty 750ti is slowly decaying from Battlefield 1. I am mainly aiming at 1080p 100+ fps. I would consider AMD but I like shadow play for my YT. What should i do :/

Solution
Assuming you have a decent amount of money to drop on a GPU which if you are considering the 1070 you probably have plenty to spend I would consider some of the new GPU's that are coming from AMD or one of the GPUs that is already out the R9 Fury.

The GTX 1060 is not extremely future proof while the 1070 is definitely future proof. Airing on the side of price though going with something from AMD (If you're willing to take the leap) will be cheaper and provide you with very acceptable performance on most games. As far as shadowplay goes there are plenty of programs that can easily replace it and make it not that much of an issue. With you wanting to do 1080p most mid-range GPUs even a generation back are fine with what you want to do...

Nick501

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
Assuming you have a decent amount of money to drop on a GPU which if you are considering the 1070 you probably have plenty to spend I would consider some of the new GPU's that are coming from AMD or one of the GPUs that is already out the R9 Fury.

The GTX 1060 is not extremely future proof while the 1070 is definitely future proof. Airing on the side of price though going with something from AMD (If you're willing to take the leap) will be cheaper and provide you with very acceptable performance on most games. As far as shadowplay goes there are plenty of programs that can easily replace it and make it not that much of an issue. With you wanting to do 1080p most mid-range GPUs even a generation back are fine with what you want to do, but bear in mind that DirectX12 is becoming more relevant in newer games, with that being said AMD GPUs are very good at that while both the 1060 and the 1070 are not great at it.

Overall you would do well with something like an R9 Fury or a GTX 1070 for gaming at 1080p 100+ fps on most current games and most new games of 2017 and onward you would be in the 80 fps range. For you, I'm guessing that price and user friendliness are also important and the Fury would cost you almost half of what the 1070 costs (It goes on sale for 260 or lower all the time) and the 1070 would offer you 8GB of VRAM. So it all comes down to what you personally enjoy using, but bear in mind that in the future if you plan on adding a second GPU you'll want a monitor with adaptive sync and getting G-sync will cost you an arm and a leg, and probably a kidney.

Solution

gokitty199

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
id wait till you can grab the 1070, amd's cards may be out by then when you can afford your 1070 which may cause prices to drop a bit or get a better performing amd card for cheaper depending on how their cards are on launch

Nothing is completely future proof. The best you can do is try to be set to game for 3 years before the next upgrade, if you play demanding games.

If you have to wait to purchase a GTX 1070 I suggest you take a good look at AMD's offering. Nvidia has been frightened enough to release their GTX 1080 Ti early - because of what AMD will be releasing, a power house.

I have used both AMD and Nvidia and currently own an MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning. I wish I had kept my older AMD card because it looks better on my 40 inch monitor. On small monitors you cannot see as much of a difference in image quality, however, once you get to large monitors the difference is very obvious.

I suggest you definitely wait for it's release and read reviews of what AMD will be like compared to Nvidia in price and performance.

Once you get a new video card please post and tell us what you purchased and how well you like it.