Fx-6300 & gtx-770 for i5-3470 & GTX1050Ti

Dec 7, 2014
Would it be worth it to sell my current build with an FX-6300, EVGA GTX-770 SSC, 8GB RAM, 600W PSU, AND MSI 970A MoBo for about $450-550 in order to buy a refurbished optiplex system with an i5-3470 and 8gb of ram for about $150 then use the rest of the money for a PSU, GPU and new case? Or is there better options?

Solution
To be honest, I doubt you'd see that much of an improvement on that system, especially with an i5-3470. And with it being a refurbished Dell that's using an Ivy Bridge CPU, I don't see much upgrade path for it either. And I have to agree that I'm not sure you'd get that much used for your system.

That being said, it's hard to tell which MSI board you currently have...but if it's this one (https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/970A-G46.html#support-cpu) you always have the option of getting an octa-core chip. An FX-8320 (like mine) has the same speed as your current FX-6300, but gives you 2 extra threads for some improved multi-threaded performance. Or you can even get the FX-8350 or 8370, which run even faster.

Or, if you can...

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador
To be honest, I doubt you'd see that much of an improvement on that system, especially with an i5-3470. And with it being a refurbished Dell that's using an Ivy Bridge CPU, I don't see much upgrade path for it either. And I have to agree that I'm not sure you'd get that much used for your system.

That being said, it's hard to tell which MSI board you currently have...but if it's this one (https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/970A-G46.html#support-cpu) you always have the option of getting an octa-core chip. An FX-8320 (like mine) has the same speed as your current FX-6300, but gives you 2 extra threads for some improved multi-threaded performance. Or you can even get the FX-8350 or 8370, which run even faster.

Or, if you can save up money & wait at least a month, you can see how Ryzen compares to Haswell/Skylake/Kaby Lake in performance & price, & decide if you want a brand-new build from there.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS