GT 730 doesn't work in 220W Power Supply?

McNuggz

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
My EVGA GT 730 (64-bit, DDR5) just got to my house today and I was super excited to get it installed in my pc, as I've never installed a graphics card before and I wanted to get right to playing some games. As it turns out, it didn't work in my PC: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c03355381. I am very sure that I installed it correctly as it clicked into place when I placed it in and I wasn't able to remove it. When this happened I was suprised, since it has a graphics card power of 25W and I've seen 240W power supplies able to run a GTX 750ti (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvih2sEeMgw), which has a graphics card power of 60W (or 75?), and since the PC with the GPU I thought would probably not exceed 220W. When I powered my PC on, the LED on the PC went orange and a beeping went off, and I immediately knew that something was wrong as "This power supply has an LED to indicate a possible failure condition when the LED is off and power is connected". My AOC screen also displayed the logo as it normally does on startup, but afterwards it went black and the green light underneath it started flashing and kept on doing so. The LED did go back to the normal white color a few seconds after, but I still could hear a single beep out of the PC occasionally. I still heard the windows 7 start up sound too, even if the screen was completely black. I went to investigate the GPU inside the case and the fan on it was spinning while the screen was black, though I'm not sure if that's anything significant. I removed the GPU from the x16 slot and booted up my PC again and it was fine. Could there be any other reason why this happens? Or is my PSU just too weak? I already disabled the integrated graphics on it beforehand. (Sorry for this being so long)

Solution
You have to plug your monitor into the GT 730 in order to use it. As for the plugs, by any chance are you trying to plug a VGA plug into the DVI socket?
GE0UMeW.jpg

I doubt that your system has the ability to run the GT 730. I would associate it with the high probability that you have a weak PSU that wouldn't be able to handle the GT 730 - no matter how little power consumption the GT 730 has.

Just as another question, what were you planning to use the GT 730 for? In most cases it's as weak or weaker than the integrated graphics.

McNuggz

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
I was gonna use it to play esports games such as Team Fortress 2 and Overwatch, as well as older games like Bioshock 2 and Skyrim.

Oh, mate, you don't want to use a GT 730 for any sort of gaming. The GT 730 can get outperformed by an integrated graphics chip these days. For a decent gaming situation, I would suggest a GTX 750 Ti, which your system would clearly not be able to handle.

You could upgrade your PC, depending on the case that the creator used.

McNuggz

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
I cant plug in my monitor to the gt 730 as the cable doesn't fit into the dvi. The gt 730 has three rows of 8 holes for a dvi cable while the monitor I'm using has less then that, and doesn't fit into it. What exactly is secure boot and legacy boot? I've heard that you needed to boot into safe mode though I haven't tried that method myself yet.

McNuggz

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017

Unfortunately, I don't have enough money to upgrade my current pc, but since I already game on Intel HD Graphics 4000 for the above games I listed, I bought the card anyways because I knew it would be a big improvement (156% according to game debate).

You have to plug your monitor into the GT 730 in order to use it. As for the plugs, by any chance are you trying to plug a VGA plug into the DVI socket?
GE0UMeW.jpg

Solution

McNuggz

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
Judging by your photo, I am using a VGA plug. I feel pretty dumb, I had no idea that I needed to plug in my monitor INTO the graphics card to use it. Going to pickup a dual link dvi cord later this week, thanks!

McNuggz

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
Apparently, the gpu does have a vga connector and I'm just an idiot. The bootup was different this time, whith a black screen and a blinking white dash/underscore. From what I could see online, this means I need a BIOS update, though I'm not sure how to do that on a bios such as mine.

If you can observe your current bios version, then go to the HP support section where you can download an updated bios, you can see if anything newer is there. You might already have the newest bios, or you may be way behind, you won't know until you check. Companies like HP usually include some kind of utility for updating their bios.

remove the card so you can boot into bios.

boot to bios by jabbing escape when the computer is starting,
In bios select thee security tab, then secure boot configuration

you should end up on a screen like this

c03564697.jpg

make sure legacy support is enabled & secure boot is disabled & press f10 to save.