FX 8300 vs Phenom II X4 965 Heat

Julia_96

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017
Does the Fx 8300 produce less heat than the phenom II X4 965? The fx has 30W less TDP. Thanks in advance.

Solution

You are taking the TDP of the CPU and trying to equate them to a solid number. That isn't how it works.

You could dig out reviews for both and look at the normal operating temperatures and solve you own question.

I have owned both at one point and my 8300 ran hotter at idle and under load in a similar situation as my x4 or my 6.

The 8300 is also a better chip but these days is still far behind in performance of similarly priced chips.

Infer what you want. If you...

Faktion

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
Not necessarily. If I had to guess I would say about the same. The extra cores generate extra heat. Just because a CPU has a lower TDP doesn't mean it will run cooler than some other CPU with a higher TDP.

The fx 8300 actually pulls more watts than they say it will most of the time which actually should have given it a higher TDP.

Julia_96

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017
@Faktion well according to some websites the FX 8300 has 30 Watts less TDP and its 13nanometers smaller which means it should produce less heat and consumes less energy than the phenom does. Many people give me different answers, i'm really not sure what to believe

Faktion

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015

You are taking the TDP of the CPU and trying to equate them to a solid number. That isn't how it works.

You could dig out reviews for both and look at the normal operating temperatures and solve you own question.

I have owned both at one point and my 8300 ran hotter at idle and under load in a similar situation as my x4 or my 6.

The 8300 is also a better chip but these days is still far behind in performance of similarly priced chips.

Infer what you want. If you want to think the TDP somehow = operating temp for some reason then that is on you. You would just be misinformed.

Solution