M.2 2280 vs sata ssd?

Qwertyfish01

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
Recently my computer just restarted and started rattling horribly, so the time has come to replace my hard drive with an SSD finally. It's not dead, but I want enough life left in it to clone it to something else, so for now I am not using my computer.
I have $20 saved up and my parents can spend $80 so I was searching for a 250GB SSD. And one came up, the Samsung 850 EVO 250GB. But the thing is, it comes in a SATA SSD and M.2 2280 variants which both cost the same! So there must be no performance difference, right?
Here's my thoughts about the SATA SSD:
-The cage for it is out of sight
-But the performance may be worse
And on the other hand,
-the M.2 drive is faster, supposedly
-However it is ugly and the M.2 port is right there, through the side window.

Which one should I pick?

Solution

antoine21839

Respectable
Jan 4, 2017

M.2 is faster, but first you have to check your motherboard has an M.2 slot, and then you also have to check if this M.2 SSD is an NVMe or an AHCI SSD. If it's an AHCI one, then it's not a lot faster than a SATA III one (still a bit faster).

Solution

Qwertyfish01

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

My motherboard does in fact have a m.2 slot, however the SSD does not mention NVMe on the product page so I am assuming it is just not bringing it up because it's actually AHCI. So I'll get just the SATA SSD because the M.2 one is this ugly green color and the drive cages are out of sight.