100% CPU Usage While Idle

zachmartinn

Commendable
Feb 13, 2017
I have an i5 6600k oc'd at 4.3ghz. I got on my PC and noticed in task manager and Open Hardware Monitor that my CPU usage is at 100%. My temps are 28-31 degrees while idle, so I don't think it's really running at 100%; but it's weird that OHM and Task Manager are both reading the same thing. http://
It's showing CPU usage at 8% but it's running at 4.3ghz nonstop. Could this potentially hurt my CPU in the long run?

i5 6600k @ 4.3ghz
Asus Z-170e
16 gb Crucial DDR4 @ 2197mhz
GTX 1060 6gb OC
Corsair CX750M
Hyper 212 Evo
Crucial 240gb SSD / Hitachi 2TB HDD

Solution
Dont worry your cpu is not used 100%, is just stuck at maximum frequency which means higher power draw but the usage is what you see, around 1-8%. You got in task manager cpu usage, maximum frequenxy and current frequency. The usage is in % and from what i see in yoru screenshot is normal at i see that you are stuck at 4.3 Ghz which is your maximum frequency. Dont worry nothing wrong will come from this just a bit higher power bill.

zachmartinn

Commendable
Feb 13, 2017

Still didn't do anything. I changed it to low and rebooted and it's still the same.

ImGeraldBurns

Commendable
Feb 12, 2017

Hmmm.. Try doing it one more time. You shouldn't have to restart. Just click low and then normal and it should drop.

zachmartinn

Commendable
Feb 13, 2017

If you're referring to the Minimum processor state, it's set to 0%.

ImGeraldBurns

Commendable
Feb 12, 2017
Dragos could be right about the performance and balanced power setting too. I just had the same problem as you and at the time I switched from performance to balanced and then my buddy told me to click low and then normal. I guess sometimes it gets stuck and gives false readings.

Dont worry your cpu is not used 100%, is just stuck at maximum frequency which means higher power draw but the usage is what you see, around 1-8%. You got in task manager cpu usage, maximum frequenxy and current frequency. The usage is in % and from what i see in yoru screenshot is normal at i see that you are stuck at 4.3 Ghz which is your maximum frequency. Dont worry nothing wrong will come from this just a bit higher power bill.

Solution