rx 470 performance issues

Spam__The_Chat

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017
so, I bought an rx 470 from msi (I had a r7 260x).
the first few days were great, could play anything I wanted at high settings/fps.
then, I tried amd's virtual super resolution and gpu upscaling for shits and giggles, and found out I could play Overwatch at ultra, 45/50 fps at 4k

which was more than I could ask for, as you might expect.
when I turned off the settings, however, all my games would run like crap, even stuff like csgo, and couldn't even handle 60 fps.
turning the 4k back on didn't change the fps at all.

I've reinstalled the drivers times and times again and nothing changes.
what should I do?

fyi, I'm using an amd Athlon x4 760k quad core as cpu.

Kaitlin Kaschak459

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013

first try display driver uninstaller to make sure everything related to the gpu is gone then when reinstalling the drivers make sure to tell the installer to reset the graphics settings to there defaults see if that helps

Spam__The_Chat

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017

I tried with the drivers. even after completely uninstalling the drivers, my performance was crap.
i should also mention that if i try to update the driver to the optional update (1.7.x) it just tells me it was unable to do so.

I was thinking that doing a reset might help, since i installed the gpu after a reset and it all worked wonderfully.
Can I create a drive from C: that wont be deleted with the reset, to save some of my files i have to keep (games that take an eternity to download, amongst other things)?

Spam__The_Chat

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017

No, I've already used DDU, twice.
While it seems to be a great program that seems to have successfully removed my drivers, the problem still persists.
So, can I create a second "C:" or a way to choose files that won't be deleted?

Kaitlin Kaschak459

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013

best bet is to format the HDD and reinstall the os from scratch